Non-Subscription Alternative to Photoshop Elements?

Okay, dear people, everyone has a position they feel strongly about. I'm reading this thread carefully and it's slowly devolving to the point where the OP is being talked around while a few darts are being thrown.

This is in fact a discussion only about non-subscription choices available, not to rip or defend one's subscription-based choices. The OP has been clear about his own position, so these other discussions are off topic.

Maybe you need to re-read my posts and stop pulling stuff out of context, to feed your hate. I've never advocated anyone go to Adobe. If you go back to my first post #13 I suggested Affinity and Corel Paintshop. I stated I've been on the Adobe subscription model and was happy with it, but no where did I say they should run out and buy it over anything else. You immediately followed with you tirade about Att phones and how Adobe was getting rich on subscriptions at the expense of poor custmers. In post #21 I said Capture One would've been my second choice had I not gone with Adobe. In post #23 I advised the OP "My advice to the OP on software is consider carefully your ongoing photography requirements. If the occasional shot with minimal editing is all you think you'll ever do, then there are several lower cost alternatives. However, bear in mind, you will also possibly encounter compatibility issues if you try to upgrade to better software. Another thing to consider is each software has a learning curve, that knowledge may not transfer to an upgraded software."

The only "suggestion" you've given is to add Elements video, the rest have been nothing but Adobe bashing. Do you even own/use or have you tried any editing software that gives you any knowledge that you can share on how they work? I didn't just land with Adobe out of the gate, it was a research/trial/error process of available software. I might also add that I'm not the only one who came to that same conclusion, check out post #24 and 27 above, according to you they're wrong as well. Strange you didn't find the need to find fault with them on their comments?
I'm just giving my opinion just as you're giving your opinion. Accusing me of "hate" is strong language, uncalled for especially from a staff member. I've used Adobe having bought PS Elements and Premiere Elements upgrades many times, the last being in 2020. I used LR purchased version upgrade also many times although I never used their subscription model.

I don't care who's right, wrong, or indifferent: TAKE THE ARGUMENT OFFLINE. Last warning.

Is there a better alternative for a hobbyist who has zero interest in subscriptions and clouds? I want to be able to crop, adjust lighting and contrast, increase and decrease saturation, and so on. Nothing really complicated.

Editing software is like camera brands easy to get into, harder to change. You really need to consider long range plans, I didn't and unfortunately I paid the price - money wasted, time wasted, photos lost.

Your first decision needs to be how you plan on saving your files RAW or JPEG? If you're planning on saving everything as JPEG you don't need much. Most camera manufactures have free software that you can download and make basic edits and crops. If you choose to save as RAW and only need minor editing they'll do that plus convert your RAW files to JPEG.

If you're considering more advanced editing I would advise you to first consider if you want a parametric (non destructive) or a pixel based (destructive). Parametric editors don't alter the original file, instead they record changes to the image as sets of instructions or parameters. If you don't like the edit, one click returns you to the original. On a pixel based editor you're making changes to an image that aren't so easily reversed.

I prefer to keep as much of my editing nondestructive as possible. Some suggestions here for non subscription software are ACDsee, Aperture, Capture One, On1, Luminar and of course Light Room. Probably missed some. Affinity is and isn't in Develop persona, it is but once you go to Photo Persona it isn't.

In Pixel Based editing Adobe Elements and Photosop are destructive. Some other suggestions here are Corel Paintshop, GIMP, Pixlr.

Last edited:
I’m just going to throw in Darktable which I’m trialling with some success now.
Quite a steep learning curve but a powerful application with frequent and noticeable updates plus it’s totally free.
I run on Linux with no issues but they have Windows/Mac versions as well I believe, I have heard reports it used to not be as stable on Windows(?)
Not sure I will switch to this yet, still in trial but quite possible as I’m only running Windows for photo editing.

just going to throw in Darktable

I forgot this one. Another one is DxO, both of which are parametric. Maybe we need a Software Review thread on the forum where actual users could share their experiences with use.

I am starting to shoot in raw, since the consensus seems to be that I'm going to end up there anyway.

I hope Photoshop is not destroying the files. The usual rule with software is that if you don't save a file, the changes aren't permanent.

I have some time left on my trial, so I will try to learn what I can before I decide what to do.

I am starting to shoot in raw, since the consensus seems to be that I'm going to end up there anyway.

I hope Photoshop is not destroying the files. The usual rule with software is that if you don't save a file, the changes aren't permanent.

I have some time left on my trial, so I will try to learn what I can before I decide what to do.

Read my post #34 above. Photoshop is a pixel based or raster editor. Any editing you do to the image file is permanent. Of course if you don't save a file then the original remains intact. As mentioned earlier I do as much of my editing in LR or ACR as possible because it doesn't change the original image, and is easily reversable. The heavy lifting is reserved for Photoshop. Once in Photoshop editing is done on layers, so I can back out or change just that layer without affecting the whole stack, but once you save it the file is changed.

To get around the issue I use a file tree down system. I have a Master File, broken down into Major categories. These are broken down into as many sub categories as needed. Each subcategory is broken down into three categories 1-RAW, 2-PHOTOSHOP, 3-FINISHED. Using the file down automatically sorts my files as I click down in the file tree. By using custom file names, dates and keywords I can filter in LR to drill down to the file I want. Photoshop files get saved in "2-PHOTOSHOP". "1-RAW" holds my RAW images with only LR adjustments. It may be overkill but I have sufficient storage so I use a RAW Dump file to send virgin copies to before I do any LR edits.

I switched to Photopea. It's online, has zero subscriptions, and is super user-friendly—perfect for hobbyists.

What I love is the simplicity – cropping, adjusting lighting, playing with saturation – it's got the basics covered. No giant learning curve; just what you need without any extras. Also, it runs smoothly on a desktop, with no funky phone or tablet stuff. Give it a shot!

By the way, do you guys know how to compress jpeg? I need to upload some photos to a website. Please share your tips!

Edit: spammy link removed by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Subscription models are sneaky and vastly profitable for the issuer. It's like compound interest. Years ago, AT&T probably started it all by charging around $2 a month to rent their home phone instrument hanging on the wall. People never paid attention until AT&T was broken apart by the US government because it was a monopoly. Then everyone noticed that their $2 a month equaled $480 after twenty years of use. $480 for an old, decrepit, non-descript black, dial phone hanging on the wall. So, $10 a month for Adobe subscription for ten years equals $1200 about what a nice new digital camera costs. That's what I was paying Comcast for their internet line modem/router per month. Returned it to them and bought my own and saved $800 over the last ten years since I moved here.
When Photoshop first came out it cost over $800 and upgrades came on disks every 16-20 months or so, and cost $250. Now, for $120 a year billed monthly at $10, I get three versions of Photoshop, Lightroom, and Lightroom Classic, Mobile and iPad versions of the previous, 2 versions of Bridge, Premiere Rush, Adobe Firefly, Adobe Express, Acrobat, Adobe Stock, Adobe Fonts, Fresco, and Cloud Storage. When there is a major upgrade or a minor bug fix, I get an immediate download for no charge. My apps are always up to date with the latest tools and I don't even use all that is available to me. I suppose to some that is a gigantic rip-off, but to me, that's one of the best software deals I've ever had, especially considering the quality of the programs.

I decided to start taking photos again, and now I need to edit them. I have been using Befunky.com for a long time for things like cropping, but now I want to be able to do a little more. Years ago, I liked Photoshop Elements, but reviewers say the current version does very little and serves as a way to drive you to subscribing to something more expensive.

Is there a better alternative for a hobbyist who has zero interest in subscriptions and clouds? I want to be able to crop, adjust lighting and contrast, increase and decrease saturation, and so on. Nothing really complicated.

I don't want a giant learning curve. I don't want to install Linux or learn how to operate programs from the keyboard or anything weird like that. I don't work from a phone or tablet, either.
This is interesting because I have never seen anyone complaining about Elements being "stripped down." It has gained features seemingly with every new release, but it will never be Photoshop. Maybe that's what the "reviewers" were talking about: Elements offers you just enough to get you interested in trying out a subscription to the real Photoshop, but not enough to actually BE Photoshop.

I don't think your learning curve would be all that bad if you have used previous versions, but the one I have installed is ver. 10, so quite old. I have a Photographer's Package with Photoshop, Lightroom Classic Camera Raw, Bridge, and over a dozen other programs for the horrible price of $10 a month, or what I tip my barber for two haircuts. I do not need or use Elements and only keep it for reference, but I can't imagine how it could be more "stripped down" than the free programs that are being mentioned.

I have seen ads recently and I think Elements may be on sale right now for about $60.

Take a look at Photodiva if you're doing portrait photography, it's a great photo editor that's entirely free unless you want to upgrade to Pro version (and even then it would be a one-time buy program). Another good option would be Photoworks, it's a paid photo editor that also doesn't follow a subscription model and you actually own the program once you've bought it.

Most reactions

Back