Nikon D500 purchase

My dream rig is a D500 with a 200-500, but seeing them in person is a little intimidating. Honestly I don't know if I'd want to carry it around much. I'd use it for blinds or stationary shooting, but hiking with it would not work for me. The 80-400 is smaller and still gives you 600mm on a crop frame, and you can pick up the old version (haven't researched the difference between old and new) for about $400.

The "old" 80-400 is a lens I owned from roughly 2001-2016. It was nice, back in the 2.7-6 MP era, but as megapixels got to 12, then 24, and then 36, the limitations of the optics started to show. The old 80-400 is not good enough for use on modern, high-MP cameras, IMO. I s
Thanks for the info, Derrel.

Sent from my LG-M255 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I have seen a few reviewers that like the lighter weight 500mm f/5.6E lens over the 200-500mm f/5.6 for wildlife. The drawback is the fixed focal length, but the weight savings could make the difference between taking the lens with you or leaving it at home.

Either of these two lenses are my suggestion for the D500. I would personally go for the 200-500mm based on the price and just cry while holding the extra 2 pounds.

I have seen a few reviewers that like the lighter weight 500mm f/5.6E lens over the 200-500mm f/5.6 for wildlife. The drawback is the fixed focal length, but the weight savings could make the difference between taking the lens with you or leaving it at home.

Either of these two lenses are my suggestion for the D500. I would personally go for the 200-500mm based on the price and just cry while holding the extra 2 pounds.
I'm leaning towards the 200-500mm f/5.6.
I'll have to remember to take a pocket full of Kleenex lol.

My dream rig is a D500 with a 200-500, but seeing them in person is a little intimidating. Honestly I don't know if I'd want to carry it around much. I'd use it for blinds or stationary shooting, but hiking with it would not work for me. The 80-400 is smaller and still gives you 600mm on a crop frame, and you can pick up the old version (haven't researched the difference between old and new) for about $400.

The "old" 80-400 is a lens I owned from roughly 2001-2016. It was nice, back in the 2.7-6 MP era, but as megapixels got to 12, then 24, and then 36, the limitations of the optics started to show. The old 80-400 is not good enough for use on modern, high-MP cameras, IMO. I sold mine in 2016 for $500.

I figured as much. Thanks for the input.

The 500 mm f/5.6 E lens sure looks good to me. But the zoom also goes to 500 mm and offers zooming, which is extremely handy.

I really like the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR lens. This lens is designed specifically as a kit lens for the D500. From the mirror popular full-frame walk around zooms, it is also equivalent to 24-120mm on a 35mm camera.
- Great speed
- It’s also has a 17-55mm f/2.8 below and weighs about 9 ounces less

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 500 mm f/5.6 E lens sure looks good to me. But the zoom also goes to 500 mm and offers zooming, which is extremely handy.
I like the idea of the ability to zoom as I live in a built up area and often see animals fairly closely. But, I also have easy access to the countryside for longer distances.

I really like the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR lens. This lens is designed specifically as a kit lens for the D500. From the mirror popular full-frame walk around zooms, it is also equivalent to 24-120mm on a 35mm camera.
- Great speed

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply.

I have the 18-105mm kit lens that came with my D7000. I know at the time it received bad press, but I like it. Of course that may change when I put it on the D500.

- Great speed

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply.

I have the 18-105mm kit lens that came with my D7000. I know at the time it received bad press, but I like it. Of course that may change when I put it on the D500.

I had a D7000 for years. Loved that camera. So capable. The AF was really good.
I also had the D500. Light years ahead in everything the D7000 was. you'll really enjoy it.

- Great speed

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply.

I had a D7000 for years. Loved that camera. So capable. The AF was really good.
I also had the D500. Light years ahead in everything the D7000 was. you'll really enjoy it.
Thanks. I'm supposed to get the D500 tomorrow. Man, I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve.[emoji4]

Since I don't know what you own, there may be some redundant suggestions. And you didn't give a reach that you would like to achieve...

But I currently own a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 mated with a Nikon 1.7x tele-converter. I've used that with my D7000 and my D3 and have had excellent results.

I also just recently purchased a nice, used copy of a Tamron 300mm f/2.8 SP AF LD mated with the Tamron 300FNs 2X SP AF tele-converter. While I haven't had a chance to really give this a try, my initial shots with my D3 were very promising.

Or perhaps this: Nikon | Imaging Products | AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR

I have a Nikon 50mm f1.8 which would have worked on the D850. I have a Tamron 60mm Macro, Nikon 18-105mm and a Tamron 70-300mm. The 70-300 is gonna get replaced. I've never liked it since I bought it for my first DSLR, a Nikon D70s. It's murky on even the brightest day and is extremely slow to focus. Well, I'll have to see what it does on the D500 of course.

I'm looking for at least a something to 300mm which would give me about 450mm on a crop frame. When I say serious money, I'm talking up to around $1,200.00 or possibly a tad bit more. But, I don't want something too heavy.

I should have the D500 in a 2-3 days. I ordered it from Adorama. I'm really looking forward to seeing if the AF lives up to the hype. Anyway, it's got to be better than my D7000 with its back focus problem.

Bob
If weight is an issue, then I would stay away from the Tamron - it weighs a ton. The Nikon 70/200 is lighter but no a lot. I think I may have spent about a grand on it but I had to watch quite a few auctions on E-bay before I scored.

I owned the Tamron 300/2.8 SP-LD, manual focus, from 1987-1990 or so.. must have been about 7 pounds, lot of glass,all-metal build!

This was shot on the D500 coupled to the 200-500 at about thirty five feet. Keep in mind this bird isn't much bigger than your hand.
leave-nest-1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back