Nikon 70-300 or Tamron 70-210

Alright,
So I talked to a local camera dealer, and I am able to trade my nikon 16-80 for a used tamron 70-210 and a used nikon 70-300 fx!
No extra money involved. So I'm excited, hopefully I can pick it up later this week.
I will make comparisons and keep the one I prefer :).

:eek: I would keep the 16-80/2.8-4, that is a GOOD lens.
But if the longer lens is of more value to you, the trade makes sense.

Warning, with both lenses in your hands, you may end up keeping both. :confused:
I have similarly overlapping lenses. Each does what the other can't do well, so I keep them.
If you are disciplined you may be able to get past that, and sell one.

Alright,
So I talked to a local camera dealer, and I am able to trade my nikon 16-80 for a used tamron 70-210 and a used nikon 70-300 fx!
No extra money involved. So I'm excited, hopefully I can pick it up later this week.
I will make comparisons and keep the one I prefer :).

:eek: I would keep the 16-80/2.8-4, that is a GOOD lens.
But if the longer lens is of more value to you, the trade makes sense.

Warning, with both lenses in your hands, you may end up keeping both. :confused:
I have similarly overlapping lenses. Each does what the other can't do well, so I keep them.
If you are disciplined you may be able to get past that, and sell one.

I use the Sigma 18-35 so much more than the Nikon 16-80, Don't get me wrong, it is a amazingly good lens, but I tend to only use it at 16-24mm and 70-80mm (and feeling sometimes out of reach).
So for me it makes sense to just keep the incredible sigma and get a 70-210/300 lens :)
+, If I want VR for landscapes, I still have the Nikkor 10-20mm lens, small, light and great :D

And maybe I will keep both :D
The 70-210 will be better for people/events I assume.
and the 70-300 for travelling.
But, I will test both, the feeling, the range, the VR strength, etc...
And I will try to let you guys know :)

If you have an FX camera, the nikkor 70-300VR is a sleeper lens.

Nikon Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G ED VR IF Lens AFS

Sorry, but what is a sleeper lens?

The link you provided is a AF-S version, I'll soon get the AF-P version

Sleeper means a very good lens know one talks about. Value. AF-P is a good choice if you have a DX camera. You never did say the model of your camera.

Alright, thanks for letting me know!
I will be using a Nikon D7500

Consider the "value" of the 16-80 if your dealer is willing to give you two lenses for one...

If you have an FX camera, the nikkor 70-300VR is a sleeper lens.

Nikon Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G ED VR IF Lens AFS

Sorry, but what is a sleeper lens?

The link you provided is a AF-S version, I'll soon get the AF-P version
The slang term; "sleeper" means a terrific item (lens, car, etc.) that nobody talks about, but is actually something that will "blow the doors off" of your car.

In this case; the Nikon Nikkor AF-S 70-300 f/ 45.-5.6 G ED VR IF is somewhat older, thus not widely promoted, but is better than you might have guessed.

Another "sleeper": the AF 180mm f /2.8 ED. Not the AF-D but the older AF model. This lens is not an AFS model, and so it works best with a camera which has an in-body focusing motor
D61_0981_converted_180mm AF-D.JPG

DSC_5104_Aug 6 proofs.JPG

Last edited:
very nice shots!

Alright, I got both lenses.
Let the battle begin!
First impressions:
Both are outstanding, perfect in the hand and ideal size for me, Tamron slightly longer and zoom ring is a bit annoying in the front, but nothing we can't learn over time.

I did a quick comparison between the 2 lenses, same shutterspeed and iso 100
at 70mm F/4.5:
The Tamron feels more zoomed in (more like 80mm?) and is definitely sharper in the center
The Nikon does take brighter images, 2/3 to 1 stop of light (In lightroom I bumped up exposure of Tamron with 0.8 to get same results)
at F/5.6 the Tamron wins in sharpness overall.

at 210mm F/5.6:
The Nikon is again more bright (Tamron had to be bumped up 0.9 exposure) and sharper overall (center and corner).
The Tamron does feels more zoomed in again, like 250mm perhaps?)

at 300mm F/5.6: The nikon does't feel so much more zoomed in than Tamron, but again better exposure, half a stop I would say.

Currently I would say that (In comparison to each other):
The Nikon acts more like a 70-300mm F3.8-5 (with F/4.2 at 210mm)
The Tamron feels more like a 80-250mm
Nikon wins on the long end ,Tamron at the short end
But this is from a few snapshots indoors, still will do a lot more testing :)

wait, you were talking about how you dont want redundant lenses, then bought redundant lenses?

wait, you were talking about how you dont want redundant lenses, then bought redundant lenses?

You don't read the whole thread?
I bought both (used), so I compare then, then sell one of them again. That's not being redundant.

Missed that.

I agree with your initial impression of the Tamron zoom ring. Because that was my concern.
But, I suggest you USE it.
When I hold the lens in my left hand, thumb forward.
I discovered that the front positioned zoom ring was perfectly positioned for my thumb and fingers to work it. And it proved to be easy to use. :)
So call me a convert to the front positioned zoom ring. But ONLY if the zoom ring is finger light.

This is my preferred way to hold the lens, because I can then aim and handle it like a shotgun. And that makes tracking the subject in action photography easier, than the reverse hold with my thumb to the rear.

Focal lengths are calculated at Infinity; it is possible, quite likely in fact, that there is some loss of effective focal length, at shorter distances.

Most reactions

Back