New patent per Fuji rumors site

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Fujifilm Patents Touch Sensitive Top Dial with Adjustable Settings Control - Fuji Rumors

‘Fujifilm has patented a touch sensitive top dial, that, depending on which part of the dial you touch, gives you access to certain settings.

It’s obviously just a patent, hence a concept. But I thought it could be interesting to discuss this solution. Is it something Fujifilm should go ahead with?...”

I’m hoping they don’t ruin the XT series with a bunch of touch sensitive dials. I love the way the Fuji XT2 has manual controls for everything.

I wouldn't want something more touchy. My laptop already does that, I barely touch it and hit something I didn't mean to hit, do that all the time. I wouldn't need a camera to cuss at along with the laptop! lol

The GFX 100's customizable top and back LCDs and virtual dials are a bit of a curtain-raiser on what will begin trickling down to future X series cameras. Agree totally that physical dials on Fujis set them apart from menu-dependent controls used elsewhere.

Last edited:
Noooo! Mechanical controls are one reason I chose Fuji X

Is there anyone who has not disabled the touch screen on their X-T3?

This sounds like a very risky idea to me. Unless it is implemented perfectly this could be a real disaster. I don't understand the thinking behind this. In fact I suspect there is very little thinking underlying this, but in the tech industry there is an infatuation with new technology. Unless they do it absolutely perfectly they could risk their leadership in the physical, external-dial-and-button category, and then they might have a reputation as bad as Sony as far as ergonomics and control go.

The route from patent filing to store shelf isn't free of dead ends and delays. My sense is that Fuji's top shelf camera--now the GFX 100--has always been where new features based on new technology appear first. They're not rash. Take Kayo likened the GFX 100 to the old Porsche 959--a test bed for new materials and design in a prototype mortals could actually buy, albeit only 200 in the case of the car. Fuji seems set on skipping FF sensor cameras in favor of "MF" models that will only get cheaper.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back