New 27"imac screen

rexbobcat said:
I have a PC so it's not a problem for me. ;)

In all seriousness though, can you add and external screen or something? I'm not sure how to get around this with the "all in one" design of an iMac.
There's a couple of ways, via USB port or if your graphics card is good enough it should have a DVI or HDMI port. IMACs you will have to go through the USB route. Not going to get sucked in a Mac vs PC debate( saving that for puter class lol), but the amount of money going towards an IMac or Mac Pro, you custom build PC(win7 actually works) and have money towards another lens. Not bashing them, they are sturdy, and have a high resale value, but just way too overpriced IMO.

Last edited:
27" iMac here and no issue for me either.

I had a MacBook pro non-glossy and when it was time to buy an iMac I was thinking it would be a problem, but it has not been a problem at all.

I print my photos in a local photo lab and the photos color turns out great.

I've seen many pro editing photos to go on entire books of photography on iMac 27" and with accurate color. I think it's just preference.

.....phew! We all got through that debate in one piece, well done guys lol.

.....phew! We all got through that debate in one piece, well done guys lol.

Yeah, next someone might steer another thread into Canon vs. Nikon?
bigthumb.gif

2WheelPhoto said:
Yeah, next someone might steer another thread into Canon vs. Nikon?

I mean we already know who won that battle lol.

Last edited:
instead of an iMac and a second monitor why not just a loaded mac mini and the monitor?

I use a 27" imac at work every day making t-shirt graphics. It's fine for me. I edit photos at home on a glossy macbook pro screen which looks the same as the work imac, it's fine too..

Sorry if I do not agree. If you are working with dark bakgrounds (After Effects/Cinema 4D/NUKE), you ALWAYS have problems with reflections on glossy displays. Maybe you get used to it once in a while, but it is not optimal.
I am working as a Freelancer for internet films and motion graphics. I have an old white 20" imac and a MacPro with two matte monitors. A 22" NEC and a 27" Fujitsu. I work every day at least 12 hours, sometimes up to 18 hours on my Macs without any eye fatigue.

I need to buy a replacement for my imac, because it became too slow, especially for FullHD work. I will choose a MacPro quad over the imac i7 quad because of this ****ty glossy display...:thumbdown:
Another Fuji P27T-6 will complete another fine workplace. Otherwise I would buy the new imac, because I love my 20" machine....:D

PLEASE APPLE come back to matte displays again....PLEASE....!!!!!

instead of an iMac and a second monitor why not just a loaded mac mini and the monitor?

I was about to say the same thing-- OR a shiny new Mac Pro :D If only I could afford one of those.

That aside, I use a mac mini at work at it does everything I need it to. That way, you could get ANY monitor you like lol

I was about to say the same thing-- OR a shiny new Mac Pro :D If only I could afford one of those.

That aside, I use a mac mini at work at it does everything I need it to. That way, you could get ANY monitor you like lol

Mac Mini's are not just iMacs sans the display... they are less spec'd than the iMacs. Generally slower processor, half the number of cores, and less max memory support.

This should make it easy to see the comparison between the two models of Macs:

Compare Macs, Compare iPods, iPhones & iPads @ EveryMac.com

With that said... my wife was just recently "converted" to Mac and we didn't want to make a huge investment without knowing if she will like it. I bought a demo iMac core 2 duo 2.4 and maxed out its memory to 8GB. Pleasantly surprised how snappy it runs... even compared to my top of the line iMac 27 inch doing normal stuff.

Much of what we do is memory bound. If I were on a strict budget, I would go for a slower CPU machine if meant enough funds to max out the memory. I recommend www.macsales.com for memory over Apple store.

Last edited:

Mac Mini's are not just iMacs sans the display... they are less spec'd than the iMacs. Generally slower processor, half the number of cores, and less max memory support.

This should make it easy to see the comparison between the two models of Macs:

Compare Macs, Compare iPods, iPhones & iPads @ EveryMac.com

With that said... my wife was just recently "converted" to Mac and we didn't want to make a huge investment without knowing if she will like it. I bought a demo iMac core 2 duo 2.4 and maxed out its memory to 8GB. Pleasantly surprised how snappy it runs... even compared to my top of the line iMac 27 inch doing normal stuff.

Much of what we do is memory bound. If I were on a strict budget, I would go for a slower CPU machine if meant enough funds to max out the memory. I recommend www.macsales.com for memory over Apple store.

I know, (I work for Apple) but I'm running a dual core i7 in my macbook pro, and have no problem doing post processing along with everything else I do.

I have a 27"imac and love it. I came from a $7000 sony 23" matt flat panel monitor that I thought was the shizzy when i first bought it but the LED back lite mac display is gorgous. I can only have my brightness turned up half way because it is so darn bright and when I edit i am usually in the dark or dimmed light room. I still use my sony monitor on my work station (pc) and it still is a very nice monitor.

banderson said:
I know, (I work for Apple) but I'm running a dual core i7 in my macbook pro, and have no problem doing post processing along with everything else I do.

Which is something you should have pointed out since getting a mac mini instead of an imac is not a direct replacement... Mr I work for Apple.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back