Need advice and wisdom for new toy

Kotobukicat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I need some advice and suggestions about a new acquisition. I just obtained a Minolta 110 Zoom SLR that looks like in was never used. It even has the rubber lens shade. The glass is super clean, no fungus, dirt haze or nicotine. It came with a Minolta Autoflash 25, case, and owners manual. All of the electronics work, shutter is crisp, and all controls work.

That all said, I need a Minolta lens cap for this unit, and really would like to find a Minolta Y52 yellow filter and the Minolta UV filter L39.

I also need advice on what to use to clean the exterior of the camera, and especially, what to use to clean the lens shade, which is still after 50 years still soft and "rubbery". As I said before, the glass is perfect.

Thank you so much,

Joe

Attachments

• 20240504_140022.jpg
    20240504_140022.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240504_140010.jpg
    20240504_140010.jpg
    949.9 KB · Views: 1
I meant to ask where I might look for the filters and lens cap.

Thank you again,

Joe

I meant to ask where I might look for the filters and lens cap.

Thank you again,

Joe
It's a 40.5mm filter thread. Happy hunting!
Film here:

Exterior cleaning? I use quality eyeglass spray (Costco's is great)on a microfibre cloth. I'd skip the lens hood. Didn't those have a built-in lens hood?

The lens hood has a plastic inner ring that threads into the filter threads on the lens barrel. A filter can then be screwed into to female threads on the hood.

On most Minolta 110 zoom cameras, the lens hood is missing. I am fortunate to have found this camera in such good condition. The only thing missing is lens cap.

The lens hood has a plastic inner ring that threads into the filter threads on the lens barrel. A filter can then be screwed into to female threads on the hood.

On most Minolta 110 zoom cameras, the lens hood is missing. I am fortunate to have found this camera in such good condition. The only thing missing is lens cap.
You're welcome?

I'm looking to get a film camera just to experiment as never used one. How much was that Minolta?

The Minolta 110 zoom SLR was 35 dollars on the "auction site". I was really lucky, everything works and the rubber lens shade was there and intact. Those are almost never on the camera anymore.

I got this because I loved 110 as a kid. If you never used film before, I would not recommend starting with 110. The images are not super sharp, and that particular model is very hard to focus. I focus by distance more than viewfinder.

The 110 Zoom SLRs are abundant on the auction site, but most need some service (they are close to fifty years old) and often the electronics are bad. As I said, I was very lucky.

I would recommend a 35mm Canon film camera and 50mm lens of the "A" series, with the FD mount to learn on. My favorite of that period was the AE-1. Or if that is too new for you, then I would say the old Mamyia Sekor 35 mm cameras with the Pentax screw mount lenses. I have burned many a roll of Tri-X and Kodachrome through those machines.

Just my 2 cents worth. Nothing I say is anywhere near gospel!

Best,

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back