My Weekly Themed Sketch and Other Art Works

You're making me blush. And, from what you've posted, you are good. Maybe I should start a drawing challenge thread.

I've thrown away a lot more than I've kept. I have a few that were started, and likely won't be finished.

For next weekend, I'm going to do another "my steps" series. This is probably what I'm going to draw, or rather, a variation of it.

red wing blackbird.jpg
by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

Maybe I should start a drawing challenge thread.
If you start such a thread, I'll play! I might use oil pastels instead of pencil, if I can.

And, from what you've posted, you are good.
Well, that is generous of you - I'm trying. I'm used to playing with my photographs, using alternative photo techniques, so the very idea of making my own drawings is pretty foreign. Frankly, I only picked up oil pastels as another medium to use for hand coloring my photos. A few times lately, I've used my own photos more as references, just like you are suggesting here with the red-winged blackbird. I do find it helpful to have something to pull from, which is certainly different than painting over an image.

I've thrown away a lot more than I've kept.
Haven't we all? The trash can is called "the learning bin." :icon_razz:

Here is one I did last month, oil pastels on cheap gray construction paper. I used gray paper so I wouldn't have to color the sky. :icon_mrgreen: Kind of a cop-out, but it was more of an attempt to draw snow in trees, which I'd never done. Also trying to show depth in a drawing, trying to fade out the right side tree as opposed to the little one in the foreground.

Wintry evergreen.jpg

For next weekend, I'm going to do another "my steps" series. This is probably what I'm going to draw, or rather, a variation of it.

red wing blackbird.jpg
by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr
I love these guys. As an aside, during the last week or so, a huge flock of them has shown up in my back yard and attacked the feeders like a swarm of locusts. I had 2 feeders stuffed to the brim - and within 48 hours, they were both empty. Eating me out of house and home! But they are a sight to see when they take off in a flock, those wings flashing. Gorgeous birds. :586:

That's a wonderful drawing, Terri. I've seen a couple RWBBs around here, but not many.

The narrower DoF is something I started trying when I was at Maryland. We got fussed at for not putting in the background when we were drawing models, so I started experimenting. I found I liked it best when I included some facial features of the first row of students beyond the model, then just barely added the rest (ovals and squared for heads and easels).

Thank you. I never had a classic art class like that, with models and such. My brain is wired now to look at my drawings as if through a viewfinder. :lol: If it's not quite there, I know I didn't do a good job.

A bit late, but this is the first in the Red Winged Blackbird series. I have no idea how I am going to finish it - ink, watercolor. acrylic, or maybe pastel.

1. The reference photo. I'm not going to include every detail, but rather, get what I feel are the important parts of the scene - the bird and some of the grass.

2. Lay out the general shape of things and where I want them. Ovals, lines, and squiggles help define the bird and the surrounding stalks of grass.

3. Define the lines. I find I quickly fall back into the "bad" habit of outlining the elements in my drawings, giving them a "coloring book" appearance. Well, adult coloring books are popular!

I've gone back over the rough-in and I've added darker lines for the bird's outline and minimal details - the eye and feet. The grass and background are still squiggles, but I think you get a better feeling for what they represent.

Now I have to decide what medium (materials) I am going to use to finish.

Last edited:
A bit late, but this is the first in the Red Winged Blackbird series. I have no idea how I am going to finish it - ink, watercolor. acrylic, or maybe pastel.

1. The reference photo. I'm not going to include every detail, but rather, get what I feel are the important parts of the scene - the bird and some of the grass.

2. Lay out the general shape of things and where I want them. Ovals, lines, and squiggles help define the bird and the surrounding stalks of grass.

3. Define the lines. I find I quickly fall back into the "bad" habit of outlining the elements in my drawings, giving them a "coloring book" appearance. Well, adult coloring books are popular!

I've gone back over the rough-in and I've added darker lines for the bird's outline and minimal details - the eye and feet. The grass and background are still squiggles, but I think you get a better feeling for what they represent.

Now I have to decide what medium (materials) I am going to use to finish.[/QUOTE

Colored pencils?

Now I have to decide what medium (materials) I am going to use to finish.[/QUOTE

Colored pencils?
A possibility. I also have a big box of Crayola crayons with the discontinued "Cornflower".

Very nice. I'd probably go more bold than pastel with the bird being black and red, maybe acrylic. I usually test on a small piece of paper and see, maybe you do that too.

Very nice. I'd probably go more bold than pastel with the bird being black and red, maybe acrylic. I usually test on a small piece of paper and see, maybe you do that too.
I'm leaning towards color pencils or pen & ink for this one.

I like B&W but I vote for color! lol or maybe not... it actually looks good even as a pencil sketch.

I'm leaning towards color pencils or pen & ink for this one.
Pen and ink would be cool but very difficult unless you chose pointalism. Color pencils or pencil watercolor would be a wise choice as it could expedite the render and offer a fair upgrade in separation of the subject and melting of background.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back