My new hobby

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've always wanted to get into metal detecting but I never took the plunge to do it. I don't know why because it's kinda fun. It's a bit like photography in a way...sometimes you're gonna come back with something good and other times disappointment, I suppose this can be said in any hobby you take on.

I've only been doing this for a few days just around my property and have found some rather interesting things so far!

PXL_20240423_185340096.jpg

I bought a Minelab X-Terra Pro on Amazon for $265 which I thought was a decently priced unit. Not too cheap but not too expensive. I didn't want a bad experience with a cheap one and be turned off by the hobby so I got a mid-range unit. Anyways I watched tons of videos on this and many compared it to $1000+ units and it performed just as good. The only downside to this one is that its single frequency and not the simultaneous multi frequency like its bigger brother's, the Equinox but this is basically an Equinox detector but without that fancy feature. However it still has multiple frequencies you just have to manually change it each time and redo noise canceling and ground balance. But I haven't found it to be a hindrance at all.

PXL_20240425_180611181.jpg
PXL_20240425_180531251.jpg

The obligatory selfies with the detector...I know I'm a weirdo 😂

It's been quite an experience so far learning how to use it. It's been kind of nice to do something else rather than spend 100 percent of my free time with photography, it's just nice to go and do something different sometimes you know? It's good exercise too and I get to spend time outdoors which I love. There's a sense of adventure to it.

So these are the finds I discovered on my own property just after one day!!

PXL_20240424_161924914.jpg

The coolest one is the sterling silver brooch that the metal detector went wild for, I knew it was something good. The second one I liked a lot is the airplane, that's from 1973 made in England Matchbox toy that was buried nearly 2 feet and this detector picked it up just fine.

PXL_20240424_214513825.jpg

I found these on my front lawn only a few inches in and they are Tootsietoys from the late 50s...maybe early 60s. Pretty cool!!

PXL_20240424_222334298.jpg

And this is a piece from a Hubley toy cap gun, called the Rodeo from early 1950s! This sucker was DEEP but even though its basically trash, this is sort of a relic from the past. None of these homes were here around this time just fields. So I just imagine kids playing out in this fields with their toy guns acting like cowboys in the 50s and one of them probably lost it and I found it in 2024.

Does anyone here at TPF metal detect? If so, let me know! Anyways I just wanted to share my dive into this new hobby of mine.

"Detectorists" on BBC is a great series about a metal detecting club, has certainly given me the bug but I will try to resist until retirement! Good luck on your treasure hunt :encouragement:

Interesting finds, you can almost hear the kid going home saying
I’ve lost……

Well that was short lived..decided to return it after the initial fun wore off. Its interesting but I got pretty bored with it real quick. I completely understand why people enjoy the hobby its just wasnt for me but I am glad I tried it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back