Maxxum AF 200mm f/2.8 APO

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a hold of this legendary Minolta lens ... the original version 1986. It is a "tiny" lens, though still heavy because of the all metal barrel and the large elements up front, though still light in the hand.
Even without the high speed update it is quite quick on my Sony A77m2.

The IQ of this lens does stand up to all the hype. I did some quick tests shooting various objects wide open and a cropped image looks better than my SAL70400 at 400mm.

upload_2019-4-6_12-14-28.png

Most older hi-end telephoto lenses are, in my experience, pretty good even today. The 200 mm APOchromatic
Looks to be a good performer. By the standards of the 1980s 90s 2000s,and even by today's standards. Congrats on your lens acquisition!

Thanks Derrel. It took me a while to get this lens for a low price ... I had to wait until someone had one in such a bad condition that they almost had to give it away. This one had been sitting a while as it has signs of corrosion on the body and fungus on most of the lens elements (this one's got 8 of them). I lucked out that the fungus did not eat the coatings, so it was an "easy" cleanup job ... though it looks fugly on the outside.

I wish I could get a Maxxum 300mm f/4 APO for cheap, as it is also as legendary. Too bad Sony did not bring back either of those two lenses ... I would bet that they would sell many of them.

KEH happens to have a fugly one (HS version) on eBay for a low price because the previous owner painted it black so it don't look good ... not sure about the glass.

Last edited:
My experience: Many really GOOD lenses look "fugly" because they have been carried a lot and have been shot a lot..because they are GOOD. Many "minty" lenses have not been used much. A well-worn lens is, in my experience, often a good lens.

This lens so much reminds me of the Canon FD 200mm f/2.8 that I used to have ... same shape, though not white ... hmm, maybe I should go back to packing only primes ... hmmm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back