Lightroom Alternative.. Capture One vs ON1?

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, lately I've been really unhappy with Lightroom's performance, especially as it relates to converting raw files from my x-t20. I'm looking to get away from Lightroom for at least part of my workflow.

I'm considering purchasing Capture One Pro 11, or ON1 Photo Raw.. but I don't know much about either.

I like the price and simplistic look of On1, but every photo I see processed with it looks way overcooked.. including the example photos on their website. Capture One Pro seems extremely professional. I've been playing with the free trial version of it and I'm struggling with the learning curve.. but I'm sure that'll be the case with any software.

Is anyone here using these programs for raw processing?

I have On1, but I go to it for the layers from LR as I am still using the LR6 and do not have the CC package. The one thing I like about On1 is that it is very photo-centric, so far they seem to have focused on photographers and not the wider graphic artist base that PS covers. On1 does have a lot of filters and presets available, you have to dial down the Opacity to not end up overcooked.

I think On1 has recently updated their Fuji Raw file processing, along with many other parts of the program. As they keep updating I have stayed with LR for my general processing just to maintain my current workflow. Before I consider a switch to the Adobe CC system I will evaluate On1 as a compete Adobe replacement (LR and PS).

I am thinking of buying Pixelmator Pro for $29.95 and giving it a whirl. I had their MUCH earlier software, years back, and really,really,really loved some of their presets and effects and borders and textures; now, they have a full-blown,nondestructive RAW converter, as well as editing tools in a one-page type application for raw image development. Not sure if X-Trans sensor raws for the upcoming Fuji are supported, but I wanted to throw this out there for you since you're a cool guy.

Pixelmator Pro

Last edited:
I have On1, but I go to it for the layers from LR as I am still using the LR6 and do not have the CC package. The one thing I like about On1 is that it is very photo-centric, so far they seem to have focused on photographers and not the wider graphic artist base that PS covers. On1 does have a lot of filters and presets available, you have to dial down the Opacity to not end up overcooked.

I think On1 has recently updated their Fuji Raw file processing, along with many other parts of the program. As they keep updating I have stayed with LR for my general processing just to maintain my current workflow. Before I consider a switch to the Adobe CC system I will evaluate On1 as a compete Adobe replacement (LR and PS).

Yeah, that was pretty much my impression of On1 as well.

I actually found a local photography club that is hosting an ON1 sales rep to give them a demo/intro to the software at their next meeting. I'll be attending that next Tuesday to see what they've got to say.

I'll be attending that next Tuesday to see what they've got to say.

Please followup, on what you learn! In reading up on the two, it appears that there might be the option to migrate your Lightroom collection complete with edits.

Most reactions

Back