Large Format Effect With A Full Frame DSLR

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been reading up on a technique that's been around for awhile, and started experimenting. It's called the Brenizer Method or Bokeh Panorama. Brenizer Method - Wikipedia . Google the name and you'll find a lot of You Tube instruction videos that are all pretty much the same as to method. This was my first attempt on the DW's new car. In between rain, changing light, and reflections, it was giving me fits, so I want to reshoot it at a better time. 55 separate shots went into this, then merged in Ps. It was shot with the FA 100 mm, f/2.8, 1/320, ISO 100 from a distance of approximately 10'. To give you an idea of the perspective. The only thing visible in the first shot was the headlight on the right side and part of the sheet metal around it. This image is cropped at about 75% and still provided an image resolution of 22,500 x 12797 with a file size of 823.8 mb. It's a method that I think I'll explore further.

2020 Escape by William Raber, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks good...imagine how good you will be if you keep shooting in this manner. I would expect that after three or four months you will be quite good at it.

Looks good...imagine how good you will be if you keep shooting in this manner. I would expect that after three or four months you will be quite good at it.

Thanks Derrel, I appreciate the faith!! I'm not sure the FA 100 is the lens for this, as despite it's pleasant Bokeh, in a normal shot, in this it's a little on jittery side. I shot a test earlier in the week with the old legacy 135 f/2.8 with much better background, but then again I didn't have near this many shots combined. It appears that I have some more trial and error work to find the right lens/number of shots to make it work properly. I'm also not sure this is something for highly reflective surfaces. FYI this was the first shot used in the composite.
IMGP5504.jpg

It's basically stitching, just like panoramics.

Unfortunately, it's not truly like 'large format' since you don't have movements.

I love this method; I think it’s really cool and produces some neat shots.

Very nice first attempt!

@480sparky of course it isn't a real large format, it isn't meant to be. It's purpose is to give you a wide field of view image with a depth of field not possible with a wide angle lens only.

@waday Thanks, something I've been wanting to try. Like all things, there are applications where the technique can work well, and places where it won't.

Kind a cool IMO. Does have that look and feel to it. Now you got me onto another project... thanks bud, I need another hole in my head.

Kind a cool IMO. Does have that look and feel to it. Now you got me onto another project... thanks bud, I need another hole in my head.

Glad to help. LOL

Like the image.
Do you work with layers in ps . I use a layer for each shot and layers between shots to edit.

Like the image.
Do you work with layers in ps . I use a layer for each shot and layers between shots to edit.

This image is the result of 9 rows of 6 shots each overlapping the others, and one focus point (see headlight above) for a total of 55 shots. They're merged in Ps, using the "Reposition" option which moves all of them around until they align forming a continuous image, then merges everything into a layer. On later versions of Ps you have the option of checking "content aware fill" which uses AI to fill the areas around the edges that might have gaps. I've done it both ways, and surprisingly the AI feature is really good, though it adds processing time.

In reading up on the method used by different ones, it doesn't seem to matter about how you shoot (rows, grids, even circular) so much as there a logical sequence.

Interesting technique and neat result! I don't believe my computer could handle those file sizes. A 6 shot pano bogs mine down

@zulu42 I have a decent setup now and still it took awhile. I just left it running and came back later. However, there is no minimum or maximum on the number of shots, except that they need a good overlap, and the more shots the bigger the field of view. One photographer that I've followed uses 3 shots for portraits (which is where i see myself trying this in the future) with spectacular results. Epic Portrait \ Gary Sinise | Washington DC Wedding Photographers Sam Hurd

Portraits..
One topic that I stay away from. Just can not get into it, prob because I am not that good with people

I am kind of surprised that there aren't purists who are losing their **** over this technique. After all the computer and software plays a huge part in this.

I was quite impressed by that Gary Sinise portrait shot at F / 1.2 with the old Nikon 58 mm Noct-Nikkor.

I am kind of surprised that there aren't purists who are losing their **** over this technique. After all the computer and software plays a huge part in this........

They're all out looking for a 28m f/0.02 so they can do it "SOOC".

Most reactions

Back