Landscape lens

Winona

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have Canon kit lenses of 18-55, 55-250, 18-135 or close to these. Also Tamron 100-400. I have APS-C canon 80D. Probably can’t afford a new lens, but really considering one for an upcoming trip to the SOuthwest. Sometimes 18mm doesn’t seem wide enough and I want sharper photos. I have also heard the stars are awesome in Bryce.
Suggestions? I don’t want prime and this is a hobby. But I seem to like buying things. I would be better off being a girl who was happy with buying shoes! Lol.

Inexpensive efs 10-22?

EF 16-40 L???

I’ll take a look at these. Thanks.

Hitting NM at all?

Nope. Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce. More of a family thing so tough to take good photos. But we are staying in the park so hoping to get a few “ golden hour” shots.

EF-S 10-18mm STM or the EF-S 10-22mm would be the ones I'd look at. My 10-22mm is as sharp as my 16-40mm f4 L in the centre, though the latter is sharper in the corners. I've heard a lot of good things about the 10-18mm STM though I've not tried it personally everything I've read about it suggests it's pretty much as good as the 10-22mm.

Another option would be the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 especially if you are looking for an astrophotography lens

Actually I was just looking at the 10-22 EF-S realizing this would be wider for the APS-C format. Not too expensive if I get refurbished. It’s good to know it is sharp. I’ll look at the other 2 you mentioned as well. Until I have gained a full appreciation of my gear and post processing I hesitate to spend a ton on lenses. Someday I imagine the “perfect” set up. Lol.

Will not having IS be an issue with the 10-22? I try to use a tripod but will I get decent shots if hand held?

Re post 7
I don’t think there is ever the perfect set up, as your skill changes your needs will.
You commented that a lens was not wide enough .... have you thought of doing multiple shots and making a panorama or mapping .. mapping think of a 3 by 3 grid square. Whilst one pic is not wide enough the 9 shot grid will cover a lot more.
Ok you will have to work post but it’s a way around the limits of existing kit.
Had to do it at Bath to get the image I wanted

Will not having IS be an issue with the 10-22? I try to use a tripod but will I get decent shots if hand held?

I never found it an issue but I shoot most of the time with a tripod anyway. Bear in mind that these are ultrawide lenses so they're best with lots of foreground and big skies. Not so good with verticals as they'll squish things at the centre of the frame. If you want to shoot mountains this can be a bit of an issue as they can appear smaller in the frame and loose a little impact due to the perspective.

If you shoot a lot in twilight it may be something to consider. The 10-18mm STM has IS.

Only if you pixel peep.

If you practice good photo technique, I don't feel IS is NEEDED at wide angles at normal shutter speeds. 1/(FL x 2)
If you want to shoot at SLOW shutter speeds, then IS becomes useful.

The slower you shoot, the more you want to stabilize yourself or find something stable to support the camera/you.
But, there is a practical limit to how low you can handhold before you should switch to a tripod.
Even with IS, I would not go below 1/4 sec with a wide lens. Higher with a tele.

If you have a medical condition, where you are shaky, then different story.

Also remember that IS will compensate for YOUR movements, NOT the subject.
So at slow shutter speeds, a tree branch swaying in the wind, or your kids running around, will be blurry even with IS.

As OK suggested, I would also try playing with stitching.
I tried it one, and was amazed at how good the results were.
You still have to do your part to take a stitchable pic.
Example: Stitching a night sky might be more difficult than stitching a landscape.

Coming from an era ( Jurassic) the pre dates IS the suggestion have s tripod for the night time /star photos and as others suggest think about what you can use to stabilise your camera.
I have a bean bag to put under the lens when using a wall or the car to rest the camera on. I have even used a 2kg bag of dried rice for a night shoot when I forgot the tripod, I went into the local superstore and bought the rice.

Wow! Thanks for all the input. Just getting home from a long day and will digest this all later.

One other thought:image compositing. I use Micrsoft ICE ( image compositing tool) which is free but there are other options. While not as perfect as a lens, the results can be fantastic. You just need to be intentional when you shoot to take numerous shots of the same scene to stitch together later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back