Jewelry - Pearl Necklace, C&C please.

A few words of note: I’ve done some photography for Navajo and Zuni tribal members doing their jewelry work. The one item they are most specific about is NO flash or reflective light off the piece or any blowout. The concept is to show the piece without overly bright reflections. With both film and digital it can be very hard to achieve this. How I wound up doing so was to set up a rig OUTDOORS with plenty of reflective light off of white boards and using natural shadow. The end result was a photo that looked like it was done inside but is clear without flash.

kundalini,
another approach is shooting on a plexiglass sweep lighting from below.

I will try to get some soon. I am contracturally prohibited from showing those publicly because they are for compition use. So I will shoot several new examples and try to post them very soon.

i like the picture of the necklace but i do agree that it could use a better background to make the pearls really shine

try the use of natural things too....like burlap fabric, shells, drift wood, tree branches ...for example....
2-dscn5873.jpg
2-dscn5874.jpg

www.sterlingpickett.com

the red isn't bad but the felt look is really detracting from the necklace. from what I remember a blue is usually more normal for jewelery, like a satin as mentioned above. showcasing the piece is the real goal, correct?

You are correct. I tried blue first (vinyl) but the highlights were way more detracting then the red blanket. I will try this again with something similar to what you suggest.

nice necklace!...but the red takes away from it. I think you could move in closer and crop some of the tie strings so you see the fabulous detail better....but good shot

Most reactions

Back