It’s finally happened: Canon opens up its RF-mount to Sigma and Tamron lenses

DigiFilm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, this is interesting. Canon has finally figured out what an expanded lens stable means. APS-C only for the time being, but I'd be willing to bet FF is added before the end of the year.

Wonderful news! I currently use Sigma and Tamron EF lenses with a mount adapter on my R7. I might be tempted to buy a dedicated RF lens if Tamron comes out with an 18-400mm RF. Then I'll keep my EF lenses with my 90D and use that to teach my gandkids about photography.

I'm a Sony shooter, and one of the main reasons I gravitated towards Sony was the vast lens stable. It'll be interesting to see if Canon dives into the deep end and how quickly they accelerate this. It is certainly going to make it more difficult for Sony to achieve top dog status across the board.

That is great news!
Hopefully, as you say, the fullframe mount information will become known as well; or the 3rd parties will find enough in the crop sensor mount to make it work for fullframe as well.

I've loads of bits of glass from different manufacturers; sometimes canon doesn't even make a lens in a specific role or slot that a 3rd party covers. Or Canon makes one but its an L or top tier high priced lens whilst a 3rd party might make an optically decent much cheaper version. Sometimes you just need that 3rd party to provide something different and Canon can't make everything for every budget.

I'm lucky right now as everything I've got is EF/EFS so it all works with the adaptor, but knowing that Sigma, Tamron and Canon are now all going to start working with the R mounts that's great news for me. Fingers crossed for the fullframe market as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back