Is film based photography still viable, to include darkroom?

kaiserschmarrn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Been out of photography things for too many years. Is film based photography still viable, to include darkroom fun? I have most of the things, even to include a Beseler 45 MXT enlarger with a condenser head, which I would have killed for back in the day. All I had then was an Omega C760 with a dichro head. Can you still get all of the paper, film, chemistry, you know, all of the expendables?

Thanks,

Danny

It's all still available, but depending on where you are you may need to order it online. Brick-n-mortar camera stores that stock analog items are getting fewer and farther between.

It's all still available, but depending on where you are you may need to order it online. Brick-n-mortar camera stores that stock analog items are getting fewer and farther between.
That is good, but things now not being available locally is no surprise to me. The three camera stores I knew of, to include one that we were referred to when buying our photo supplies when equipping for classes at the university, well, they are long gone. To be honest, these days, I believe that for most semi and full specialty items (even aside from photography) local retail is now dead. Having to buy any of this stuff online is something I expect now and I do not consider it a deal killer.

Danny

You might look for some local photo clubs. A member might have some gear for sale. Also check Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist etc.

You might look for some local photo clubs. A member might have some gear for sale. Also check Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist etc.
Good idea, and in fact, there is a camera club I can walk to from home. How is that for convenience? I just have failed so far to check them out.

Craigslist is where I got the 45 MXT, as well as a Beseler 67, which I will sell. I bought the Beseler to get the accessories that came with it.

Danny

Last edited:
Good idea, and in fact, there is a camera club I can walk to from home. How is that for convenience? I just have failed so far to check them out.

Danny
With few exceptions, club shooters around Toronto abandoned film 15+ years ago. Pro labs all but vanished along with consumer labs like Costco. It's stabilized here as a residual market with film and some chemistry still available. Steep price increases will probably shock you, especially for film materials still available. Diehard friends still run darkrooms and shoot everything from Holgas to 8x10. Online is your friend, especially for film.

It's interesting how we like to go back one generation in technology. Like going back to LPs and turntables. Back in film days I knew a guy who was printing with dye transfer. It was an old laborious method but it was the best.

A couple of decades ago I had a well-outfitted color darkroom, with a Super Chromega 4x5 enlarger and Schneider lenses. It was fitted with a self-made pin registration system so I could do composites. I had mastered temperature control and knew how to keep my solutions way longer than they said I could. I loved the smells and the groping around under the safelight.

But damn, it took a week to make a prize-winning print. It was always exciting, but I'm not going back. :icon_biggrin:

Been out of photography things for too many years. Is film based photography still viable, to include darkroom fun? I have most of the things, even to include a Beseler 45 MXT enlarger with a condenser head, which I would have killed for back in the day. All I had then was an Omega C760 with a dichro head. Can you still get all of the paper, film, chemistry, you know, all of the expendables?

Thanks,

Danny
Heck, sounds like you're practically there already with that sweet enlarger! I love a beautiful fiber based silver gelatin print as much as anyone, but you might feel better taking small steps towards that. The cost of paper has definitely gone up, but once you're actually set up, you can certainly start off with student grade resin coated papers just to save a few bucks while getting back into it. Arista developers/fix will also save money for starters - there's nothing wrong with these products.

Look online at places like Freestyle Photo and B&H - there's tons of stuff available and these are great companies to deal with online. Beautiful papers and different developers are all easily found.

Finally, whatever your end game may be with your printmaking, film and analog photography in general is popular these days, and folks will pay well for the real thing. ;)

Go for it and have fun!

DO IT!!!!
FYI....For my darkroom prints I use Ethol LPD developer (and Ilford rapid fix). Great stuff and you can control the tone with dilution. If you want an RC multigrade instead of Fiber I recommend Ilford's Portfolio paper. Outstanding tones and has a good thickness to it.

I've found film photography, weather in the camera of darkroom, is very opinionated when the end goal is producing something to please the eye.
In my opinion, film based photograph never really left us but the quickness of digital was hard to resist.

Attachments

• big enlarger.jpeg
    big enlarger.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back