I'm here To Learn

I'm late to the party but am going to comment anyway.

Things I concede: It is more convenient to shoot digital because you're not paying for each shot and you get instant feedback. It's also true that film developing costs can add up.

BUT...I think learning on film can just mean a much steeper learning curve because you are motivated to learn faster (so you don't waste money) and so you pay closer attention. You'll still make mistakes, of course, but because those mistakes cost you, it might mean that you learn your lesson faster and are less likely to make that same mistake again. As for the cost, I notice many people add in the cost of printing, and that certainly drives the cost up. However, unless you are going to wet print the images yourself in a darkroom, then chances are you will be getting the negatives scanned. If you are, why bother with the prints? Just have them scanned and view them on a computer. That way, if you do want prints, you have a chance to print only the ones you want. This cuts down on the cost. You might also want to consider finding some money to buy a film scanner. It's more money up front but it will save you money in the long run because then you're paying a lab for develop only, not scanning, and the developing itself is not bad. You're in NYC so you've still got a lot of local options without having to send it out.

KEH is a pretty solid place to get used gear. Even the stuff rated "Bargain" is usually very good quality. And if you ever do have a problem, their customer service seems to easy to deal with.

Use the tools that you need to help you learn. You are the one who knows how you learn, so listen to yourself. Sometimes it does help to take a few test shots with digital, but that doesn't mean it's going to be too difficult or a mistake to do a lot of beginner work on film. The first few rolls might be disappointing, but the shots that do come out well are going to be so exciting, and that right there is going to be your motivation to keep going.

There is a Film Photography forum here in case you haven't found it yet. When you have questions, let us know and we'll help you out! :)
Photography Forum

I'm late to the party but am going to comment anyway.

Things I concede: It is more convenient to shoot digital because you're not paying for each shot and you get instant feedback. It's also true that film developing costs can add up.

BUT...I think learning on film can just mean a much steeper learning curve because you are motivated to learn faster (so you don't waste money) and so you pay closer attention. You'll still make mistakes, of course, but because those mistakes cost you, it might mean that you learn your lesson faster and are less likely to make that same mistake again. As for the cost, I notice many people add in the cost of printing, and that certainly drives the cost up. However, unless you are going to wet print the images yourself in a darkroom, then chances are you will be getting the negatives scanned. If you are, why bother with the prints? Just have them scanned and view them on a computer. That way, if you do want prints, you have a chance to print only the ones you want. This cuts down on the cost. You might also want to consider finding some money to buy a film scanner. It's more money up front but it will save you money in the long run because then you're paying a lab for develop only, not scanning, and the developing itself is not bad. You're in NYC so you've still got a lot of local options without having to send it out.

KEH is a pretty solid place to get used gear. Even the stuff rated "Bargain" is usually very good quality. And if you ever do have a problem, their customer service seems to easy to deal with.

Use the tools that you need to help you learn. You are the one who knows how you learn, so listen to yourself. Sometimes it does help to take a few test shots with digital, but that doesn't mean it's going to be too difficult or a mistake to do a lot of beginner work on film. The first few rolls might be disappointing, but the shots that do come out well are going to be so exciting, and that right there is going to be your motivation to keep going.

There is a Film Photography forum here in case you haven't found it yet. When you have questions, let us know and we'll help you out! :)
Photography Forum

Thank you so much.

And you read my mind about just scanning the negatives. The place I plan on going to will put them on a CD for just a few bucks more. And I'm definitely going to invest in my own scanner when I get the money for it. Was already checking some out and it seems like a top quality one will run you about $250+.

And I will def be in the film photography forum soon.

I'm not that familiar with Minolta, but the ad makes me think the seller may not know that much about cameras - it doesn't describe if/how well the camera works and instead lists all these filters, etc. (which you don't really need necessarily but maybe the seller thinks that sweetens the deal??).

I'd want to know it was used/tested with film and I'd want a good lens (a Minolta 50mm might be, I don't know about the Vivitar).

I'm not that familiar with Minolta, but the ad makes me think the seller may not know that much about cameras - it doesn't describe if/how well the camera works and instead lists all these filters, etc. (which you don't really need necessarily but maybe the seller thinks that sweetens the deal??).

I'd want to know it was used/tested with film and I'd want a good lens (a Minolta 50mm might be, I don't know about the Vivitar).

I shot and email to the seller but yeah you're right. Still most likely going to go with the body from Adorama just to be safe.

I'd be a liar if I said I didn't want some of those lenses and that flash though. When I get a response (lord knows when) I'm going to ask if they're willing to sell separate.

Adorama has that camera in E- condition for $60. They have a 50mm f2 also in E- for $20. They have a Rokkor 45mm f2 E- for $35.

They're open on Sundays. It shows a 49mm lens cap size if you need one of those, which you should be able to find cheap enough.

And - they have a 50mm f1.7 E- for $39. Did I say they're open on Sundays?? lol

If I ever went to Adorama in person they'd never get me out of the place (out of the used/collectible dept. anyway).

Adorama has that camera in E- condition for $60. They have a 50mm f2 also in E- for $20. They have a Rokkor 45mm f2 E- for $35.

They're open on Sundays. It shows a 49mm lens cap size if you need one of those, which you should be able to find cheap enough.

And - they have a 50mm f1.7 E- for $39. Did I say they're open on Sundays?? lol

If I ever went to Adorama in person they'd never get me out of the place (out of the used/collectible dept. anyway).

Lol

I would get a prime lens but since it's my first lens I want something adjustable so I can practice different shots.

I'm just crossing my fingers and praying that the E- body will be good.

Depends on the lens; some zooms aren't so sharp. Learn to move your feet instead! lol

Uh-oh I found something... never should've stayed on there.

Last edited:
vphotog; my post was partly intended to be sarcasm (yes, I know sarcasm never works on the internet, but sometimes I just have to try) and partly to show the OP that his intention to spend more money than he has to is ridiculous. It's as if he cannot be realistic about what film cameras cost these days.

But at least you read it.

I really need some quick feedback for this right now.

Lot of Vintage cameras including Minolta x-700

Seller got back to me this morning.

What did the seller say? Do you know more about the condition of the camera? How are the light seals? How do the shutter speeds work? What is the lens that comes with it?

Are you interested in this because it includes the Minolta and the brick? What about the other cameras in the lot? The Argus Seventy-five takes 620 film so that's a different format that you'd be getting into. And 620 isn't made anymore. Film Photography Projects respools it from 120 to 620 spools (they are slightly different sized spools, though the film is the same) or you can modify your own 120 spools, but it's fussy. If you are just getting into 35mm, it might be a while before you're read to start messing with other formats, and when you are, there are better things to start with to get into medium-format film.

I suppose if you're willing to pay the money just for the two things you're interested in and then get rid of the others, then it's not a bad deal. Just remember that the Argus Seventy five and Instamatic will get you almost no money at all if you want to resell it. Maybe $5 each?

I dunno, I don't mean to sound discouraging or anything, but it seems like for your first camera, you want to make sure you have something that works, that is somewhat reliable, and you're more likely to find that from a known seller like Adorama or KEH than on Craigslist.

I really need some quick feedback for this right now.

Lot of Vintage cameras including Minolta x-700

Seller got back to me this morning.

What did the seller say? Do you know more about the condition of the camera? How are the light seals? How do the shutter speeds work? What is the lens that comes with it?

Are you interested in this because it includes the Minolta and the brick? What about the other cameras in the lot? The Argus Seventy-five takes 620 film so that's a different format that you'd be getting into. And 620 isn't made anymore. Film Photography Projects respools it from 120 to 620 spools (they are slightly different sized spools, though the film is the same) or you can modify your own 120 spools, but it's fussy. If you are just getting into 35mm, it might be a while before you're read to start messing with other formats, and when you are, there are better things to start with to get into medium-format film.

I suppose if you're willing to pay the money just for the two things you're interested in and then get rid of the others, then it's not a bad deal. Just remember that the Argus Seventy five and Instamatic will get you almost no money at all if you want to resell it. Maybe $5 each?

I dunno, I don't mean to sound discouraging or anything, but it seems like for your first camera, you want to make sure you have something that works, that is somewhat reliable, and you're more likely to find that from a known seller like Adorama or KEH than on Craigslist.

Yeah I know. I just got off the phone with Adorama and I'm going to pick up my camera in the next 2 hours.

Just trying to explore every option.

Yeah I know. I just got off the phone with Adorama and I'm going to pick up my camera in the next 2 hours.

Just trying to explore every option.

I get it, I'm the same way. I like to look at lots of options before I settle on something.

And don't get me wrong - if you really get into film and vintage cameras, then a lot of old cameras like that is a pretty good deal, especially if you like tinkering and will make use of the cameras. I actually have that little Argus 75 and it can be fun to shoot with sometimes. And I know some folks who love their Instamatics. But if you get it and then decide you want to either go digital, or stick with film but use new cameras, then you're left with a box of "junk" that you then have to unload somewhere, y'know?

Warning: Long read ahead...

I'm a 22 year old complete beginner and for a long time now i have been wanting to learn photography and how to become a real photography.

The problem is I have no idea where to begin at all. I literally have no knowledge of the type of camera shots, terms & phrases, nada. The only thing I kinda know is a wide shot and even then I don't fully understand the concept of that. The realization of how much I don't know and how much there is to learn is honestly intimidating/overwhelming but I can't let that stop me.

I've already decided that I'm going to use a film camera and there's no convincing me. All the photos that I love are on film plus it's the original way. And it just looks better.

I have my eyes on two films cameras that are within my budget right now and I want you guys to help me choose...

The Argus C3 Brick

I can get this right now for $40

00C0C_avY6g8IMifX_600x450.jpg

The Yashica FX3

I can get this right now for $50

00707_qUERJDqJ2Y_600x450.jpg

Which one do you guys think I should get?

I decided to go with these two before I save up for a Nikon FM because they are in my budget right now. And because I've learned the hard way with other things that it doesn't matter if you have the latest and greatest if you don't know how to do ****.
I don't know about the Yashica, but the c3 makes it easy to take double exposures when you want to do so.

Warning: Long read ahead...

I'm a 22 year old complete beginner and for a long time now i have been wanting to learn photography and how to become a real photography.

The problem is I have no idea where to begin at all. I literally have no knowledge of the type of camera shots, terms & phrases, nada. The only thing I kinda know is a wide shot and even then I don't fully understand the concept of that. The realization of how much I don't know and how much there is to learn is honestly intimidating/overwhelming but I can't let that stop me.

I've already decided that I'm going to use a film camera and there's no convincing me. All the photos that I love are on film plus it's the original way. And it just looks better.

I have my eyes on two films cameras that are within my budget right now and I want you guys to help me choose...

The Argus C3 Brick

I can get this right now for $40

00C0C_avY6g8IMifX_600x450.jpg

The Yashica FX3

I can get this right now for $50

00707_qUERJDqJ2Y_600x450.jpg

Which one do you guys think I should get?

I decided to go with these two before I save up for a Nikon FM because they are in my budget right now. And because I've learned the hard way with other things that it doesn't matter if you have the latest and greatest if you don't know how to do ****.
I don't know about the Yashica, but the c3 makes it easy to take double exposures when you want to do so.

We're way past that now. :lol:

Truth be told I'm still considering getting both of them one day. More so the Argus cause I want to see what type of vintage looks I can get out of that.

Most reactions

Back