how to use different tools in photoshop(this is for newbie)

hdvideoreviews

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm just about to start using photoshop. I have picture editing software before but it is not an adobe photoshop. It is very different from the other. I just want to know how to use the hand tool, brush tool and other tool in photoshop. Can anyone help me with this one? If you have a tutorial site for this one kindly provide it. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Click on the tool bar on the left and select the tool you want. Click on the image and use the tool. o_O

lol MusicaleCA
I think he ment, what do they do...

Now asking this question is as good as asking for the True meaning of life ( no not 42...)

but the hand tool is simply to pan around your image
I have been using photoshop for 3 almost 4 years, and still have tons to learn...

I know a lot of programs are different, so knowing which programs you have are key. Also, you can find out how to do anything on youtube. I couldn't figure out how to do the digital diet on people to slim them down a little in their pictures. Youtube showed me that all you had to do is select filter, liquify & either the pucker tool, warp tool or bloat tool. I hope this helps you...
~Marlena~

In the last two years and a half, the OP must have learnt :mrgreen:

hdvideoreviews said:
Hi there, I'm just about to start using photoshop. I have picture editing software before but it is not an adobe photoshop. It is very different from the other. I just want to know how to use the hand tool, brush tool and other tool in photoshop. Can anyone help me with this one? If you have a tutorial site for this one kindly provide it. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

I always suggest Adobe classroom in a book. Great hard copy tutorial with projects to get your feet wet into Photoshop, good luck.

In the last two years and a half, the OP must have learnt :mrgreen:
True but, a thread isn't just for the benefit of the OP. Most of the people that visit TPF are not members of the forum and visit as guests.

As it is today, there are 4 current versions of Photoshop:

Photoshop Elements 10
Photoshop Lightroom 4
Photoshop CS 5
Photoshop CS5 Extended

Each version of Photoshop includes access to instruction on how to use the software. It's called Adobe Community Help and with Photoshop open on your computer ACH can be accessed by pressing your computer keyboard's F1 key or clicking on 'Help > Photoshop help' on the Applications bar.

This is what the ACH first page looks like for CS5, except for the arrows I added:
$ACH.jpg

Last edited:
I know a lot of programs are different, so knowing which programs you have are key. Also, you can find out how to do anything on youtube. I couldn't figure out how to do the digital diet on people to slim them down a little in their pictures. Youtube showed me that all you had to do is select filter, liquify & either the pucker tool, warp tool or bloat tool. I hope this helps you...
~Marlena~

Or just steal a professional photographers photos, slap your copyright and phone number on it, call it your own...That should work right? I think you owe me an apology please.

Youtube and search for using the tool you want to learn...

Every photoshop program have a toolbox which appear left side on the window. you just select the tool and use it on the image. Hand tool is use for moving the image in the window. If you want to use this tool any time with the using of other tool just press and hold the spacebar. Brush tool is use for paint in the image. It fill any color whatever you have to selected for your image.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has all of it's tools on the right side of the window.

Thanks for sharing this information with me. I use adobe photoshop cs 5 in last 2 years i use toolbox which appear left side on the window. Adobe photoshop and Adobe photoshop Lightroo both are different from each other. Adobe photoshop is use for web designing , graphic designing, animation, video editing, image editing etc.

Any photographer wanting a comprehensive description of how to use all of Photoshop and ACR's tools, functions, and features might want to get the inexpensive books - Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC

Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5

Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

I use a dual display setup. I have CS5 configured so the tool and work pallets are on the 2nd display, to maximize space on my main display for the image I am editing.

My second, smaller display is to my left, but the tool pallet is on the right edge of that display. I also use a pen tablet for editing instead of a mouse.

WrkStatn1-2-10_0028.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Any photographer wanting a comprehensive description of how to use all of Photoshop and ACR's tools, functions, and features might want to get the inexpensive books - Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC

Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5

Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

I use a dual display setup. I have CS5 configured so the tool and work pallets are on the 2nd display, to maximize space on my main display for the image I am editing.

My second, smaller display is to my left, but the tool pallet is on the right edge of that display. I also use a pen tablet for editing instead of a mouse.

WrkStatn1-2-10_0028.jpg
Thanks for sharing this information and give me some good information about the Adobe ptohoshop lightroom.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
FYI, you can move the toolbar wherever you want, although the default is on the left.. i've been using Photoshop professionally (as a graphic designer) for around 15 years.. if you guys have specific questions, feel free to ask.

Most reactions

Back