Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilatus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everybody!

I went to a garage sale recently and picked up a lens for $5. The owner said he couldn't remember exactly what it was since it had been a long time, but he said he thought it was for a Pentax ME. I'm not sure exactly what it's for as I don't know its name. It was only $5 so if I lose out it's not a big deal, but does anyone know if there's an adapter that can make this hook onto a Nikon F mount?

Pictures of the lens below.
20180523_120845.jpeg
20180523_120857.jpeg
20180523_120913.jpeg
20180523_120918.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It's all up front: Vivitar 50mm f/1.8. 49mm is the filter size.

Overall, it's probably worth at least the $5 you paid for it.

A quick search shows B&H has a Pentax (K) lens to Nikon (F) adapter for about $40, though I have no idea how well they work or what the limitations are. Of course, you could always look for a used but working Pentax K1000 and have some fun.

Last edited:
The Pentax ME was a K-mount camera sans any electronic contacts. So if it fit on the ME, it would work on the ME Super, MX, K1000, MV et al.

Overall, it's probably worth at least the $5 you paid for it.

A quick search shows B&H has a Pentax (K) lens to Nikon (F) adapter for about $40, though I have no idea how well they work or what the limitations are. Of course, you could always look for a used but working Pentax K1000 and have some fun.

Oh, ok! I was a bit confused with the way it was written. I'm still new to all this.

I've got an adapter for a Sony lens to my Nikon camera from them, and they're pretty good. I just wasn't sure of the mount as I saw conflicting information. Thank you!!

It's not going to be worth the money it costs to buy an adapter. You'll be far ahead just using those funds towards an actual F-mount lens.

It's not going to be worth the money it costs to buy an adapter. You'll be far ahead just using those funds towards an actual F-mount lens.
If I can find a cheap one that just holds it on I might do it. But otherwise yeah, I will.

doesn't look like a K mount to me.

I've only had luck converting pentax lenses if the mount is one of those removable ones (3 tiny allen screws), and then replacing it for a Nikon one. Otherwise, the adapters move the lens too far away from the sensor.

Last edited:

I agree.................:)

Unless we actually get to see the mount, we're all just guessing .

If all you need is a cheap, manual-focus Nikon F-Mount 50/1.8, here ya go.

And you won't have to worry about adding any optics an adapter might have.

Plus the aperture will function properly.

Unless we actually get to see the mount, we're all just guessing .
I apologize, I thought I posted a picture of it!

Here it is.
20180523_170313.jpeg

It would have needed an adapter to use it on a Pentax ME (my first SLR), but the adapter would sit completely within the K mount bayonet, and registering on the same surface.
As the above comments the lens is designed to sit closer to the sensor than Nikon's F mount allows. Adapters for M42 lenses on Nikon F are readily available, but either have optical elements basically a teleconverter (generally very cheap one) or for close-up & macro use only.

doesn't look like a K mount to me.

The size of the rear lens cap indicates an M42 screwmount, which was the original Pentax mount.

I've only had luck converting pentax lenses if the mount is one of those removable ones (3 tiny allen screws), and then replacing it for a Nikon one. Otherwise, the adapters move the lens too far away from the sensor.

Yep. There are adapters, but you lose infinity focus. Some manufacturers try to get around this by installing a lens in the adapter. Never tried one, but I've been told that they degrade the image to a degree.

As the man said, probably not worth the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back