Happy Memorial Day

Scarecrow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
zacks.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taken at the WWII Cemetery in Manilla PI.
_MG_7307.jpg

I hope I caught the message I saw when I shot this
_MG_7298.jpg

Everyone please enjoy today and take moment to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice...

We're having an annual service tomorrow morning at the local cemetery. I always take pix. I'll post 'em later in the day.

As promised:

For the past 20 years, we've had a ceremony at the entrance of the local cemetery honoring those who have served our country and are no longer with us. I'm proud to state that I have attended every single one of these ceremonies, and for the past 6 years, I've taken photos in a strictly unofficial capacity. I take 'em just for fun.

This year, I decided to take a different look at the activities. Sure, there's always an introduction:

D7K_4389.jpg

and we invoke the blessings of our Creator:

D7K_4350.jpg

The GottaZing group sings the Nation Anthem:

D7K_4349.jpg

Mayor Jim Peters reads General Order #11:

D7K_4370.jpg

The local VFW post presents The Colors,

D7K_4407.jpg

and all the able veterans are asked to participate in Formation:

D7K_4414.jpg

A 21-gun salute then follows:

D7K_4418.jpg

And the Colors are retired:

D7K_4423.jpg

As I said, this year I decided to look for something beyond the ordinary. To begin with, there's a flag flying for every hometown hero who has passed away, regardless of cause or date of death. Currently, there's about 430 flags, and more are added every year.

I was under the impression all these years that there's a flag for each veteran in this cemetery. I was corrected this year.... there's a flag for each local veteran, no matter where they are interred. Be it Normandy, Arlington, Manilla, Flanders Field, Cambridge, Tunisia, Luxembourg, Corozal, Rome, even the next town up the road...... there's a flag here with their name on it.

D7K_4306.jpg

Attached to each flag is that veterans' name, rank & branch of service (That name, along with any conflict in which they served, is also on a placard at eye level on the pole it is flying on) :

D7K_4361.jpg

Before the ceremonies started, I looked around for something different, and found these:

D7K_4320.jpg

D7K_4311.jpg

During the activities, I took these:

D7K_4402.jpg

D7K_4419.jpg

I also took my D60, put on my 10,5 fisheye, and set the camera for Remote. I took it across the road and placed it on a headstone facing back toward the crowd. I ended up with:

DSC_5865.jpg

Can anyone guess which one is me?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back