Good first camera for around $500

djdelarosa25

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is going to be my first camera. Video is going to be my first priority, but I don't want to skimp out on image quality either. DSLR or mirrorless is okay. I'll only be using the stock kit lens since this is just for schoolwork and casual photography. Thanks!

Research for yourself is the best way, because what you want will change with more information and a static, 'buy this camera' will never be helpful to you personally.

This is going to be my first camera. Video is going to be my first priority, but I don't want to skimp out on image quality either. DSLR or mirrorless is okay. I'll only be using the stock kit lens since this is just for schoolwork and casual photography. Thanks!

For video on a budget, I would be inclined to get the best Canon DSLR you can afford. The reason is their ultra wide angle offering. It's added cost, but their 10-18mm lens with image stabilization makes a lot of sense for videography.

If you don't know what an 18-55mm f4-5.6 lens is, then I would say research what lenses do first.

Image quality results from photographer knowledge and skill.

With video being your first priority I say get a video camera not a DSLR or mirrorless.
To shoot good video with a DSLR you need several different accessories, like a follow focus set up and, at the least, a shoulder rig.

With video being your first priority I say get a video camera not a DSLR or mirrorless.
To shoot good video with a DSLR you need several different accessories, like a follow focus set up and, at the least, a shoulder rig.
So that's why my moving business failed. I bought a motorcycle instead of the truck to haul the peoples furniture. :biggrin-93:

I also said that I don't want to skimp out on photo quality since I also want to learn basic photography

Maybe Panasonic G7

Overpriced here. It's like $1000+ dollars when I saw it yesterday.

I think you do not understand my situation. I am just a high school student who needs a good camera to shoot our projects (infomercials, music videos). I don't need a studio to do those obviously, since our teachers don't expect is to make pro-level video.

Long story short, please just recommend me a good camera in that price range that could shoot good video but still take good photos with the kit lens.

I still recommend you do your own research, especially as a HS student, the ability to do quality research on a subject or topic will help more than a camera recommendation.

I still recommend you do your own research, especially as a HS student, the ability to do quality research on a subject or topic will help more than a camera recommendation.

I have already spent the past few days doing nothing but researching on which camera to buy. But for some reason, I think I'll be regretting whatever decision I make.

So I ask, D3300 vs 700D vs D5300 vs A5100 vs A6000?

Can you rank them (based on your opinion) on which is best for both CASUAL photo and video?

Do you want 4k video or 1080?

If you can get a Sony A6000 for your budget you'll likely be happy. It's a well rounded camera. The d3300 is nice also. You really can't go wrong with your list, the Sony a6000 ,though is more able than the other 3 listed

If you can get a Sony A6000 for your budget you'll likely be happy. It's a well rounded camera. The d3300 is nice also. You really can't go wrong with your list, the Sony a6000 ,though is more able than the other 3 listed

Thanks! :)

Don't you think the 700D is better than the D3300 for video? Articulating LCD, touch screen, silent lens. They also say that the focus motor of the D3300 and D5300's kit lens is loud.

Most reactions

Back