Gardeners! Share your garden photos and garden chatter here.

Spring morning at the family ruin

Maymorn1.jpg

While not severe, Winter 23-24 was prolonged and caused shrub damage we dealt with today
by pruning out split branches and dead bits. No lawns mowed for another few weeks till spring
natives finish blooming. Granted, it's a different look but not one without planning and maintenance.
Fond of the "been there forever" look my MIL established back in the 70s.

Last edited:
We inherited 3 rose bushes when we bought our 2nd lake lot. I've only had limited success with roses, but these things are prolific bloomers. Haven't done anything to them except prune them back in the spring. I did feel sorry for them this year and put out compost around them......be my luck they'll die off now. 🤣 I guess I need to try and get some cuttings rooted.
20240503_125414.jpg

Spring morning at the family ruin

View attachment 274773

While not severe, Winter 23-24 was prolonged and caused shrub damage we dealt with today
by pruning out split branches and dead bits. No lawns mowed for another few weeks till spring
natives finish blooming. Granted, it's a different look but not one without planning and maintenance.
Fond of the "been there forever" look my MIL established back in the 70s.
She did great! Older gardens that look settled into the landscape are the best. It absolutely takes foresight and planning!

This is where I'm at. While the weather was nice I made an initial run to one of my favorite local nurseries.

20240502_163526.jpg

Petunias, various superbells, 3 kinds of patio tomatoes, and a rosemary. I had a huge rosemary bush in Georgia that I started with a pint-sized container. Up here, they're considered annuals. :lol:

The taller purple flowers in the back are Cleome hybrids (aka spider flowers), the same Senorita Rosalita that I bought on a whim last year. They were gorgeous and I was tickled to find them.

Now if the rain will clear out, I can get busy!

We inherited 3 rose bushes when we bought our 2nd lake lot. I've only had limited success with roses, but these things are prolific bloomers. Haven't done anything to them except prune them back in the spring. I did feel sorry for them this year and put out compost around them......be my luck they'll die off now. 🤣 I guess I need to try and get some cuttings rooted.View attachment 274778
Those could be knockout roses. They put on a big show early and continue mildly through summer then another big bloom early September. I dead head mine and they bloom right into November. If you’re having a party or event and want a good show prune them lightly about 3 weeks before.

This is where I'm at. While the weather was nice I made an initial run to one of my favorite local nurseries.

View attachment 274779

Petunias, various superbells, 3 kinds of patio tomatoes, and a rosemary. I had a huge rosemary bush in Georgia that I started with a pint-sized container. Up here, they're considered annuals. :lol:

The taller purple flowers in the back are Cleome hybrids (aka spider flowers), the same Senorita Rosalita that I bought on a whim last year. They were gorgeous and I was tickled to find them.

Now if the rain will clear out, I can get busy!
That'll keep ya busy, all ready missing tomato season here.

Still got 4 tomato plants going here but there struggling to ripen, there bursting before there red so been picking them orange and table ripening'em so they dont burst.

Yearly clean out of the worm farm, 3 10 liter buckets of castings but a little low on worms though and im not seeing any babies in it this round???
IMG_20240504_112458.jpg
IMG_20240504_111846.jpg

That'll keep ya busy, all ready missing tomato season here.

Still got 4 tomato plants going here but there struggling to ripen, there bursting before there red so been picking them orange and table ripening'em so they dont burst.
I'll pick them when they get the first blush of orange, and put them in a paper bag and they ripen fantastically.

Those could be knockout roses. They put on a big show early and continue mildly through summer then another big bloom early September. I dead head mine and they bloom right into November. If you’re having a party or event and want a good show prune them lightly about 3 weeks before.

I pruned them down pretty far this spring, but less than the previous owners did. I need to research how/if they can be started from cuttings. Would love some more of them.

You got any seedlings going yet?
Two container tomato plants and two hot banana pepper plants this year. The soil here is not conducive to in-ground planting. Need to build a deck so that I can have more planters.
Untitled by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

I pruned them down pretty far this spring, but less than the previous owners did. I need to research how/if they can be started from cuttings. Would love some more of them.
If they have a strong scent they’re not knockouts.

Amazing! You’re so far ahead of us!!!!! Gorgeous garden haul.

Most reactions

Back