Gardeners! Share your garden photos and garden chatter here.

Finally got most of the tulips planted. I held back about a dozen bulbs. Going to try to force them indoors. Thinking using pebbles and water method. Any advice on that?

Finally got most of the tulips planted. I held back about a dozen bulbs. Going to try to force them indoors. Thinking using pebbles and water method. Any advice on that?
My mom did that one time and put them in the ground when she said the shoots were 3-4" high. They were in some kind of tray with water and little stones, which sounds like what you're describing. Apparently they bloomed just fine. This was awhile back and as far as I know, she didn't do it again.

I'm not a bulb person because of stuff like this!

My mom did that one time and put them in the ground when she said the shoots were 3-4" high. They were in some kind of tray with water and little stones, which sounds like what you're describing. Apparently they bloomed just fine. This was awhile back and as far as I know, she didn't do it again.

I'm not a bulb person because of stuff like this!

I need to get the pebbles and a few smaller vases. I don’t plan on planting them, just enjoying them indoors in the vases. I did have one vase with a wide opening but a thin neck that I sat one of the bulbs in and filled it with water to just below the bulb. It’s got roots already after only 1 day in the sunny window!

IMG_6569.jpeg

Roots and a stem growing after just over 24 hours!

Did somebody mention Dahlias?? My favourite flower ever since I was a young kid many, many years ago now!

IMG_02062.jpg

Right now its very dull, wet and wintry here but just finding this picture again has cheered me up!

Last edited:
Did somebody mention Dahlias?? My favourite flower ever since I was a young kid many, many years ago now!

View attachment 271581

Right now its very dull, wet and wintry here but just finding this picture again has cheered me up!
Beautiful!

View attachment 271581

Great color on these! I love the ones with the spikey petals.

I guess 2nd spring is here. Yard is full of Robins devouring the worms. Red maples are in full bloom, the hellebores will be full in a week along with the buttercups which are up and buds swelling. Honeybees are in full build up mode getting ready for the nectar harvest soon. Warm rain this weekend will have them opening up, supposed to be over 70 tomorrow.

Of course, it will be 3rd winter next week, lol.

Hellebore snap from the phone.

20240209_124750.jpg

Wow! 55F today in S. Ontario--a near-record in many places. Snow nearly gone in 24h. Damned squirrels are sniffing around for bulbs. Note-to-self: Need to work on that patent for anti-rodent garden IEDs...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back