Fujifilm x-t20 or x-t30

Byrnew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I was looking at changing over to a fujifilm camera. I see 2 options the x-t20 with a 18mm-55mm kit kense or the x-t30 with the 15mm-45mm. Any advice which one I should go for as there both coming in at €1000. Will there be a difference in the picture quality between these lenses? At the moment I use a nikon D3500 and my main lense I use is the prime 35mm 1.8 . I hear the colours and picture sharpness ect out of the fujifilm cameras are realy nice. Would I notice any difference between the nikon and fujifilm with image quality, sharpness and colours?

Thanks.

The 18-55 is known for its sharpness and build quality. The 15-45 is a XC lens - they’re lighter and smaller. I have the 18-55 and it’s a workhorse. I don’t have the other but it has a good rep. Not sure what the difference is btw the t20 and the t30... nothing there to make up your mind?

On a side note, Fuji has released the xt3 and xt4 in fairly quick succession so there are a lot of used xt2s and t20/t30’s on the market. You may want to consider used/refurbished no matter which you buy. Save money now for additional lenses later.

The 18-55 is known for its sharpness and build quality. The 15-45 is a XC lens - they’re lighter and smaller. I have the 18-55 and it’s a workhorse. I don’t have the other but it has a good rep. Not sure what the difference is btw the t20 and the t30... nothing there to make up your mind?

On a side note, Fuji has released the xt3 and xt4 in fairly quick succession so there are a lot of used xt2s and t20/t30’s on the market. You may want to consider used/refurbished no matter which you buy. Save money now for additional lenses later.
Thanks for the reply. Doing the research a few times it popped up about some of the 18-55mm kit lenses can be bad copys . Have you heard anything on that ? Il have a look into the second hand market . Thanks for the help .

Thanks for the reply. Doing the research a few times it popped up about some of the 18-55mm kit lenses can be bad copys . Have you heard anything on that ? Il have a look into the second hand market . Thanks for the help .

I’ve been shooting Fuji for about 4 years now and I read the Fuji X forums and several Fuji blogs all the time and have never seen anything negative about the 18-55 or anything about bad copies of the 18-55. Usually the “bad copy” comments are around the 3rd party lenses like Samyang and Rokinon.

I've got the 18-55 and it's superb. I got it with my X-T1 in 2014.
I just pulled the trigger on a used X-T10 from B&H as I hate changing lenses and want something on which I can keep the 55-200 full time. The X-T10 is contemporary with the X-T1 and even though it's now 4 gen back, that sensor and software is still great. I figure for a couple hundred USD to get an extra camera body is worth it.

My strategy after all but abandoning Nikon for Fuji is to spend my $$$ on their top shelf XF lenses and enjoy the savings on trailing edge bodies after new models debut. The "Fujicron" prime lenses(16/23/35/50mm) are killer. The 16mp bodies are no slouches. The X-Tx bodies are more comfortable in larger hands than the slightly cramped X-Txx cameras.

Last edited:

I’ve been shooting Fuji for about 4 years now and I read the Fuji X forums and several Fuji blogs all the time and have never seen anything negative about the 18-55 or anything about bad copies of the 18-55. Usually the “bad copy” comments are around the 3rd party lenses like Samyang and Rokinon.
Cool thanks for that , a bit of peace of mind . Do you know anything about the 15-45mm kit lense ?

I've got the 18-55 and it's superb. I got it with my X-T1 in 2014.
I just pulled the trigger on a used X-T10 from B&H as I hate changing lenses and want something on which I can keep the 55-200 full time. The X-T10 is contemporary with the X-T1 and even though it's now 4 gen back, that sensor and software is still great. I figure for a couple hundred USD to get an extra camera body is worth it.
Thanks for the reply and information. I feel the the same about changing lenses so was looking to get the fujifilm for general use and maybe keep the nikon with the 70- 300mm on it and have that in the bag for anything I need to zoom in .

There is a noticable difference in the AF speed and focus acquisition on the xt30 over the xt20. The sensor is a valid upgrade as well. The 18-55 is a rather boring but fantastic lens. Very sharp, contrasty, and excellent image stabilzation. At the end of the day it's a tool but if your wanting something new, the XT30 is a significant upgrade over the XT20.

My strategy after but all abandoning Nikon for Fuji is to spend my $$$ on their top shelf XF lenses and enjoy the savings on trailing edge bodies after new models debut. The "Fujicron" prime lenses(16/23/35/50mm) are killer. The 16mp bodies are no slouches. The X-Tx bodies are more comfortable in larger hands than the slightly cramped X-Txx cameras.
Thanks for the reply and information. There is a second hand x-t30 I'm looking at and it has the 35mm prime . Would u know woukd there be much of a difference in quality between a 35mm prime and the 15-45mm kit kense. The reason I ask is do I spend a little extra for a new camera with that kit kense or the second hand one with the prime lense. Thabks

There is a noticable difference in the AF speed and focus acquisition on the xt30 over the xt20. The sensor is a valid upgrade as well. The 18-55 is a rather boring but fantastic lens. Very sharp, contrasty, and excellent image stabilzation. At the end of the day it's a tool but if your wanting something new, the XT30 is a significant upgrade over the XT20.
Thanks for the reply and information .

Fuji announced the new xt-200 which looks really nice for the price! I need a 2nd dslr and was going to get another xt2 or a xt3 but this new model is tempting.

Fuji announced the new xt-200 which looks really nice for the price! I need a 2nd dslr and was going to get another xt2 or a xt3 but this new model is tempting.
There is a x-t2 for sale where I live for €750 comes with a battery grip and either the 35mm f2 or the 18mm -55mm kit lense . Its 2 year old and he said excellent condition and not used much. I'm considering looking at it on sunday . Which lense to go for if I decide to buy it will be a challenge because i heard so many good things about the kit kense and i also use the 35mm prime lense mostly on my nikon which i love.

There is a x-t2 for sale where I live for €750 comes with a battery grip and either the 35mm f2 or the 18mm -55mm kit lense . Its 2 year old and he said excellent condition and not used much. I'm considering looking at it on sunday . Which lense to go for if I decide to buy it will be a challenge because i heard so many good things about the kit kense and i also use the 35mm prime lense mostly on my nikon which i love.

I have the 35. It doesn’t get much use for me because I prefer the flexibility of a zoom so I end up opting for the 18-55 most of the time. That being said, the 35mm f2 is the fastest focusing lens I have ever used. I actually thought it was not working because it focused so quickly and quietly.

I have the 35. It doesn’t get much use for me because I prefer the flexibility of a zoom so I end up opting for the 18-55 most of the time. That being said, the 35mm f2 is the fastest focusing lens I have ever used. I actually thought it was not working because it focused so quickly and quietly.
So regarding image quality between both of those lenses would they be near enough the same ?
Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back