First Photoshoot

blackphoenix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have my first official photo shoot event this Sunday. I was wondering if any of you had any advice on preparing for that?

Decide what you want to get from the shoot, don't be controlled by the model/s, use the light and if you can research the space before you do it, unless it's a studio session..

Decide what you want to get from the shoot, don't be controlled by the model/s, use the light and if you can research the space before you do it, unless it's a studio session..
It's going to be outside on a fairly overcast day, I just want to be sure this goes right. It's going to be alot of people. I dont know if i want to bring my tripod either or is freehand best for it

What/who are you shooting? Indoors? Outside? Equipment? Experience level?

You need to provide some info if you want to get any usable advice.

Flash/Reflector, choose your background carefully, light will be bad so shoot to the right (histogram) - shoot RAW, nail what you can and if the weather is bad, or too bad be artistic in post.

Otherwise, Shoot to the right of the histogram, and don't expect great results for groups....

What/who are you shooting? Indoors? Outside? Equipment? Experience level?

You need to provide some info if you want to get any usable advice.
Its outside and im shooting a large group of people. Its a black history month photoshoot event that I'm hosting and I have a camera and a tripod. and I'm still an aspiring professional photographer as I have not had any clients yet.

Meter for the highlights...

A group depending how large and how far away you are and the lens will be a f5.6 shot. use lighting from reflections off of buildings, if they don't have a set idea use your time and shoot shoot shoot
experiment, edit and try to capture the idea they want, the emotion, the rest is on you...

Don't be afraid to orchestrate..

Flash/Reflector, choose your background carefully, light will be bad so shoot to the right (histogram) - shoot RAW, nail what you can and if the weather is bad, or too bad be artistic in post.

Otherwise, Shoot to the right of the histogram, and don't expect great results for groups....
Okay thank you! this is great advice. Didn't want to fail this

Checking jpg on the cam isn't enough, Use your histogram... If you spike to the right then change it up.. Best of luck

Checking jpg on the cam isn't enough, Use your histogram... If you spike to the right then change it up.. Best of luck
Thank you for the words of advice! Definitely will show the pics when its over to get a critique

Reactions: D7K
I have no flash, no reflector...FYI... I have used, But I prefer natural light, try your best to see it, and use it... You won't be sorry. Looking forward to seeing some shots

I have no flash, no reflector...FYI... I have used, But I prefer natural light, try your best to see it, and use it... You won't be sorry. Looking forward to seeing some shots
Yea i dont use flash I feel sometimes it takes away from the picture. Natural is better I prefer it as well. Thank you I can't wait to shoot them.

Yea i dont use flash I feel sometimes it takes away from the picture. Natural is better I prefer it as well.
What camera? Most cameras have a built-in flash on top.

"Natural" light is sky light mostly coming from above which makes shadows under eyebrows, noses, and chins. If you're o.k. with shadows on everybody, then don't use your flash.

Yea i dont use flash I feel sometimes it takes away from the picture. Natural is better I prefer it as well.
What camera? Most cameras have a built-in flash on top.

"Natural" light is sky light mostly coming from above which makes shadows under eyebrows, noses, and chins. If you're o.k. with shadows on everybody, then don't use your flash.
Its a canon eos rebel T6. I see what you're saying about the shadows. I appreciate it. I definitely would not want that.

Its a canon eos rebel T6. I see what you're saying about the shadows. I appreciate it. I definitely would not want that.
I would not want that either.

Look in your menu to see if you can adjust the flash to "fill". Usually that is just enough light to make the shadows less prominent. Use today to test this.

Most reactions

Back