Firmware Update Problem

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First of all this isn't my first firmware update but the first one with the K1ii. I started trying to update last month but ran into problems, several conversations with tech support yielded no resolution. I had to postpone further updates because of commitments. Now I'm back and have attempted down loads on the update using 3 different computers, all with the same result. Unzip the file, save it to the root directory of the SD card and start the installation process in camera. Once I press start in camera it shows loading for a few seconds then kicks out with the message "could not complete update, there is a problem with the file. Pentax support swears the file is okay and works correctly when they try it.

Any ideas?

Idea: forget doing the update. I
Doubt there is anything really imporant that the new firmware will allow you to do in comparison with the old firmware.

Idea: forget doing the update. I
Doubt there is anything really imporant that the new firmware will allow you to do in comparison with the old firmware.

About to that point!

Like the old song says you Gotta know when to hold them, and you
Got to know when to fold them.

I remember when you first brought this issue up, I went to the Pentax site and read through the explanation of what the firmware update does. Unless you own that 11 to 18 mm lens, I really didn't see that much that looked worth bothering with.

, I really didn't see that much that looked worth bothering with.

Yeah it's highly unlikely I'll be getting the 11-18 lens.

More of an irritation then anything. I'm one of those people who if I flip a switch and it doesn't work, it'll drive me crazy till I find out why. :apologetic:

I usually update firmware when I first buy a body, and then probably never again... Have you tried accessing it from a totally different computer in a different location? If all attempts have been at home, could your router/modem and/or it's security system being compromising the file?

, I really didn't see that much that looked worth bothering with.

Yeah it's highly unlikely I'll be getting the 11-18 lens.

More of an irritation then anything. I'm one of those people who if I flip a switch and it doesn't work, it'll drive me crazy till I find out why. :apologetic:

I seem to remember this problem.
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.
I feel your pain, I work in electronics and take pretty much anything I can't solve personally.

I usually update firmware when I first buy a body, and then probably never again... Have you tried accessing it from a totally different computer in a different location? If all attempts have been at home, could your router/modem and/or it's security system being compromising the file?

I thought possibly the same thing, but I've attempted it on three different computers using different browsers and different security. I haven't attempted downloading from a different location, but I can't see where the router would be playing hardball with it, when I've never encountered it before. I'm down to two possibilities: 1) The file is damaged on their server, or 2) There's a problem with my camera, but I've had no other issues to indicate it was flaky.

I work in electronics and take pretty much anything I can't solve personally.

Yeah like I said earlier, it's more an irritant then anything. If it was really causing problems, I'd probably devote more time to it.

Try asking someone to send you a known good copy? I find it difficult to believe that the file would be damaged on their server. It's not impossible, but, IMO, unlikely. Do they provide a check-sum? Equally however, it seems unlikely that there would be a problem with your camera. Firmware is a pretty low-level install, and in my experience, it either works and works, or doesn't. I really have to stick with the theory that it's getting corrupted somewhere between Pentax' server and your hard drive....

Try asking someone to send you a known good copy

Yup, thinking along the same lines. Going to see if they will share an unzipped file that I can grab. The unzipped file is just over 18mb, so it isn't that large.

At last PROBLEM SOLVED, I am now updated to the newest version of firmware.

I'd been attempting to use a new Patriot LX SDHC card that I had. I'd reformatted several times, scanned if for errors, and even used it the camera to record images. Nothing ever indicated any problems. Today out of curiosity I took an old SanDisk Ultra +, cleaned the remaining images off it, downloaded the firmware again, unzipped it direct to the SanDisk card, stuck it in the camera and worked like a charm.

I can't say for sure if I was getting corrupted downloads, I was getting corruption when I copied the unzipped file to the card, the card was/is bad, or the update/camera just didn't like the card but after messing with it for so long, I can say with certainty I don't care. I fixed it and at no point was duct tape or baling wire used............life is good. LOL

That just reminded me of a problem we had at work.

There was a test fixture that ran off a floppy disk which had been designated the magic disk. You couldn't successfully, for the want of love or money, copy it. No amount of effort ever resulted in a copy that would work.

Then the original was lost.....

Most reactions

Back