exactly what makes a great photo?

ph0toe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
how can i be a great photography if i had already learned the foundation.

exposure triangle- iso, shutter, aperture

knowing when to use auto (moving objects). vs manual (moving laterally, mountains, etc)

depth of field (shallow vs deep) how much you want in focus

getting focus (click AF-on) or use lcd or use viewfinder using the internal focus point and then recomposing shots

half press shutter to take a shot

and then getting composition right by angulating your camera to get the shot you want and eliminating distraction (but i do feel photoshop and lightroom can correct that with rules of third and cropping)

and to make the photos more lively we just adjust exposure, saturation sharpening in photoshop, maybe take some stuff out fix some blemishes if taking portrait photography etc

so what am i missing?

what makes a great photographer?

As an EE, I picked up the technical side pretty quickly, but am struggling with the creative / artistic side. Sounds like you've got a good handle on the technical side, but how about the creative / artistic side? Start by studying great painters and great photographers to understand why their work is so good. Especially pay attention to lighting. Plan your shoots with goals in mind like setting emotion, be their in best light, composition (background, background, background), creativity, unique situations, context all while being technically perfect. Think through your shots, just don't blaze away. It's the difference between capturing a moment and creating a memorable image. Post your work and seek feedback from your family, peers, on forums, enter contests. Don't get frustrated, but work through it.

The Dang Factor.

That's when someone looks at it and says, "Dang... I wish I had taken that!"

I start by showing my wife a full screen image. If she says "Oh Wow!", I know it's a keeper and worth posting.

how can i be a great photography if i had already learned the foundation.

This, stating you have already learned the foundations statement you've used before incorrectly but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you have learned since then.

so what am i missing?

what makes a great photographer?

The technical aspects you've covered but the biggest missing element is having an eye for what is appealing or having a vision of what you want to create. Without these you're just documenting a scene.

Study the great photog masters work. This will inspire and direct you more to making great photography than anything else.

Like square peg says in post 6 see the image in your mind first

There are snapshots, grab the moment and hope shots, lucky shots , holiday moment shots ect......
and then there is the planned ones
Where you know what you want to achieve, and have thought how to do so even before You think about getting the camera out.
Ok it does not alway work out, but at least you can learn why it did or did not.

Ok street /open space photography

Think this through
Old lady 70 ish on the beach skirt hitched up to mid calf just enjoying the moment as she lets the sea wash over her poor ol feet.
Sun is so that her shadow is on the water
How are you going to photograph this? Do you take the image or respect her privacy
A head shot to capture her face an look of bliss as the sea water eases the pain in her joints
I will allow that like any good street photographer your camera is pre set to the current lighting conditions
Think fast, she will not stay there long.
The title for the image can be
Ah bliss
I’m just a kid at heart
Memories

If you like I will post one of my images and thank you through the thoughts that lead to it as opposed to the tech details
Be warned that my images are out of the box and can be classed as marmite...... you know love or hate them

The ability to see the photo before you take it.

What she said. But it's ok to simply get lucky while in pursuit of this ability...once in a while!! ;)

If you like I will post one of my images and thank you through the thoughts that lead to it as opposed to the tech details
Be warned that my images are out of the box and can be classed as marmite...... you know love or hate them

yes please. i learn better with visuals

The technical aspects you've covered but the biggest missing element is having an eye for what is appealing or having a vision of what you want to create. Without these you're just documenting a scene.

so the other part of it would be to set up external factors (setting, lighting, pose (if with a person), and then try my best to emulate what i had in mind.
In that case, that is just an artistic / creative aspect which is unique to anyone and doesn't require one to be a photographer.

I guess what i'm saying is that technically those who classify. themselves as. "pro" are no different than one who can see what they want capture (again, anyone with a eye and a brain can see what is unique to them) and learning the foundation of photography, no?

04C7E762-3087-4B35-A8B8-603298E5C92F.jpeg
The thought that lead to this image was that I wanted a tunnel of light
I sat and worked out if I swung a light on a string , letting the string get longer as I walked towards the camera
It took a couple of goes to get the starting point right
The colour image ..... how about you telling me how you would do it and I will tell how it was done
04C7E762-3087-4B35-A8B8-603298E5C92F.jpeg

Attachments

• A47BC36E-57FF-42F7-BD7D-4BA15B51FA1E.jpeg
    A47BC36E-57FF-42F7-BD7D-4BA15B51FA1E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 166
In that case, that is just an artistic / creative aspect which is unique to anyone and doesn't require one to be a photographer.

I guess what i'm saying is that technically those who classify. themselves as. "pro" are no different than one who can see what they want capture (again, anyone with a eye and a brain can see what is unique to them) and learning the foundation of photography, no?

Essentially all of this is correct, however the images you have posted in the past have shown a great lack of the fundamentals.
You start threads that are honestly way above your skill level. This time should be taken to master the basics.
Sucks to be blunt but you haven't taken the hints in previous threads you've started.

Learn and practice the basics until you can shoot CONSISTENT quality images. NOTHING else matters until this is done.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back