Everything EVIL in you comes out

The top 3 reasons I decided on an EVIL camera (Olympus PEN E-P3) were 1) less weight, smaller footprint for my annual pilgrimages to the NC mountains each October and other short trips 2) Be able to enjoy and interact at events without having to constantly worry about all that heavy artillery I was hauling around 3) Having the option to interchange lenses and adapt my existing collection (haven't done that one yet, but on my list). The m4/3 format fit all my requirements with some pretty damn good IQ to boot.

A few from last years trip. I rented the Panasonic 7-14mm lens and had a blast with it.
BRP-Oct-2011-631-XL.jpg

BRP-Oct-2011-753-XL.jpg

BRP-Oct-2011-783-XL.jpg

BRP-Oct-2011-791-XL.jpg

BRP-Oct-2011-1003-XL.jpg

Sunkissed-Mountaintop-XL.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I attended our National Meeting in Orlando. I'm not scared to admit that I threw the camera in iAuto and let it rock. Most of these were shot one handed because there was usually a cocktail in the other hand. And most were shot with the kit lens, but I did shoot the 40-150mm and 45mm once in a while. I attached the Black Rapids strap on and there was freedom to mill about inconspicuously.

Meet-Greet-Dinner-16-XL.jpg

Meet-Greet-Dinner-14-XL.jpg

Meet-Greet-Dinner-19-XL.jpg

Poolside-Dinner-128-XL.jpg

Poolside-Dinner-135-XL.jpg

Poolside-Dinner-144-XL.jpg

ACAD-Class-87-XL.jpg

ACAD-Class-85-XL.jpg

Pool-Sunset-50-XL.jpg

Planners-2012-SI-Natl-Meeting-XL.jpg

I was about to buy the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 lens, but I'm having too much fun with the EVIL setup that I don't mind the loss.

I'm rocking the E-P3 in Ocean City, MD right now and not regretting it one bit. I've seen many people walking up and down the boardwalk with DSLRs and big lenses when I have a camera with very good IQ and can fit in a pocket. It's definitely not a replacement for paid shoots and other certain work, but it's a replacement for a walk around.

Hey guys, I've been wondering for a while what is the point of EVIL cameras. Do they do things that a DSLR cannot, or are there things a DSLR can do than an EVIL cannot?

Espike said:
Hey guys, I've been wondering for a while what is the point of EVIL cameras. Do they do things that a DSLR cannot, or are there things a DSLR can do than an EVIL cannot?

The idea is for a more compact system that can do a lot of the things a dslr can do. But a dslr still has a few capabilities that evil do not. Many of those relating to the 4/3 sensor being smaller. Bu evil male great compact and street cameras.

Espike said:

The idea is for a more compact system that can do a lot of the things a dslr can do. But a dslr still has a few capabilities that evil do not. Many of those relating to the 4/3 sensor being smaller. Bu evil male great compact and street cameras.

Yup.... Most Micro 4 3 shooters do not expect it to be a replacement to a DSLR system (that may change) but more as a compliment. Not only are the cameras smaller but so are the lenses. For many, the enjoyment of photography starts from the moment they bag is loaded with equipment.... large, uncomfortable, heavy, bulky, systems that do not fit a person's lifestyle simply doesn't contribute to the enjoyment of the hobby. I simply enjoy shooting more with smaller cameras with high quality lenses than I did with a case full of high end Canon glass that weighed me down.

Next time I carry that much weight... I'd better be paid for it.

I can post photos to give you an idea of size but I'm currently at work.

I can post photos to give you an idea of size but I'm currently at work.
Not trying to steal your thunder usayit, but here's a couple of size comparisons I've taken.

E-P3 with 14-42mm kit lens versus D700 with 24-70mm.
i-87h79hk-XL.jpg

E-P3 with 40-150mm versus D700 with 70-200mm
i-5cQ7Zq8-XL.jpg

Front View
i-J6NtxLr-XL.jpg

It's like having a point and shoot with near DSLR quality and the ability to change lenses. I was looking at the Canon GX(X) series for the longest time but always felt I'd be limited by it having a dedicated lens. The Oly PEN let me have a small camera with relatively good image quality (not as good as my FF Canon camera, but still very good) that's small and has high quality lenses. I ride my motorcycle a lot and a PEN with two lenses fits much better than a 5D MKII with two lenses.

This is from my trip to Ocean City for the classic car show. This was shot with an Olympus E-P3 using a Lumix 20 f/1.7 lens.

From the tests I've seen, the only EVIL camera that can actually compete with DSLRs when it comes to speed is the Sony Alpha Nex 7 - and that one is MORE expensive than the DSLR I actually bought ! :D

Granted, less space requirements would be sweet, but I can still manage.

From the tests I've seen, the only EVIL camera that can actually compete with DSLRs when it comes to speed is the Sony Alpha Nex 7 - and that one is MORE expensive than the DSLR I actually bought ! :D

Granted, less space requirements would be sweet, but I can still manage.

What type of speed? The E-P3 and OM-D AF fast and shoot fast. In fact, the OM-D is supposed to be faster than the NEX line.

They have their pros and cons. For instance, the next shoot I'm going to do will have the OM-D and two primes in the same bag as my Dynalite setup and the only additional bag will be my battery. It's IQ can't match my 5D MKII, but I'm not taking a camera bag that weighs over 30lbs in addition to my light bag and battery. Not to mention that trying to fit a 5D MKII in a Crumpler 5MDH with two lenses and a flash on a motorcycle takes up a lot more room than an OM-D with two primes.

QUESTION???

I want to mount my E-P3 to the handlebar of my bycycle to take some video while riding. Anyone have a DIY (read cheap but secure) solutions?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back