Does anyone recognize this action?

Can't you do that by tweaking HDR Toning in the Image=>Adjustments menu in Photoshop?

I think yjere ar lots of ways to achieve it. Just wondering if anyone might recognize it as a pre-made action.

Thanks Smoke, it's definitely got elements of HDR, and lifting blacks, but it's a bit more complicated than that apparently; I was futzing around with it last night and wasn't able to replicate it satisfactorily. I didn't put a lot of time into it however.

Thanks Smoke, it's definitely got elements of HDR, and lifting blacks, but it's a bit more complicated than that apparently; I was futzing around with it last night and wasn't able to replicate it satisfactorily. I didn't put a lot of time into it however.

Try this. Curves layer. Raise the black point up, drop white down use opacity to set to taste. Hues saturation layer drop the saturation slightly. Either merge layers or hit crtl, alt, shift, E to create a combined layer. Duplicate this layer, and group the two layers then change the group blend mode to overlay. Go to first layer of group and change blend mode to vivid light. Then hit Crtl I to invert the layer. Then convert this layer to smart filter. To this layer apply filter>blur>surface blur. Set your radius to roughly 40 and threshold 18, clk okay. Being a smart filter you can go back and change it if need be. Adjust group opacity to taste. I have it set as an action, I can email to you if you have problems. This will sharpen the edges without overly sharpening the image.

one of my VSCO film presets, 400H1, gets really close to this, but needed a little fine tuning with the colors and bumping the shadows way up.

preset:
upload_2019-5-11_12-52-17.png

og edit:
upload_2019-5-11_12-53-40.png

Your link keeps directing me to The Petrolettes A Facebook page, and not a single photograph. I have clicked on your link several times with the same result. Weird.

one of my VSCO film presets, 400H1, gets really close

Close, but he asked for Actions, not preset for Lr. However, your comment reminded me of a LUT layer.

Last edited:
Your link keeps directing me to The Petrolettes A Facebook page, and not a single photograph. I have clicked on your link several times with the same result. Weird.
When I click, it goes to the fb page, then the photo (first one) pops up after a few seconds. Now, I'm currently in Connecticut, which is geographically closer to Germany, so that might have something to do with it. :p

Some cameras have a built in HDR feature where it will take 3 or more images and stack them.

That's right. I phrased the post poorly. Do you recognize the action used for that image?

@tirediron did you try my suggestions? Also one of the more powerful tools I've been working with lately are custom "LUTS" color lookup tables. ON1 offers several free downloads. ON1 Photography LUTs – ON1 also try Lutify.me | LUTs Color Grading Packages Trusted by Professionals By changing the blending mode of the layer and opacity, the effects are virtually unlimited.
I did, but I was obviously getting something wrong somewhere... kept winding up with super-dark images. Will re-tackle after coffee this morning. This link looks cool too!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back