David Bailey - Black Frames

In a society filled with fakery and lies and deceit, the knockout border conveyed authenticity; it showed "the whole negative";

I remember some prints made with the sprocket holes showing.

Hi,

Many thanks for all of your replies, very helpful. Whilst I wouldn't want to add the black borders to all of my images I do quite like the effect on certain images.

Best,
Lewis.

In a society filled with fakery and lies and deceit, the knockout border conveyed authenticity; it showed "the whole negative";

I remember some prints made with the sprocket holes showing.
I think printing the sprocket holes can be a bit distracting.
It's not hard to do on a scanner. Most film holders will cover the sprocket holes, but some don't. I can see the point if the image goes beyond where the edge of the frame would normally be (so the sprocket holes are actually "in" the image), but even then I find it distracting too.

Scanning with the borders showing is not hard though. In fact, all of my scans are like that before I do any cropping. I do like to crop it pretty close to the edges though, just in case I want to do a different crop later - to maximize my cropping options.

You see it a lot in the film groups on Flickr. And of course instagrammed shots all have the same Fuji Velvia markings on them, lol. Personally, I don't like seeing the edges or the film markings on a finished product.

I remember when I brought some steve gullick photos of nirvana to a photography class and my instructor explained to me the filing out of the enlarger boards. I simultaneously thought that was a good idea and realized I'm a little bit of a photo snob lol

For those of you aspiring rock and roll photographers here's his website www.gullickphoto.com

%C2%A9-Steve-Gullick21.jpg

Faking it in a wet darkroom is trivial.
You don't fake things in the wet darkroom, all you do is real and cost you money. Computer fakes things, you can fake such a borders in photoshop.
Black borders not necessarily are only around prints of full negatives. One can have black border around any print of any part of a negative. No need for damaging the carriers.
Black borders and "sloppy" burning and dogging were also sort of photographic mannerism in 60 and 70 era. The picture OP is linking has all the hallmarks of that.

I'm pretty well acquainted with the wet darkroom. I'm not sure where my meaning became unclear to you, but I thought it was obvious that what I mean was:

One can trivially create the look of a filed out negative carrier, in a wet darkroom, without filing out a negative carrier. It's perhaps not quite as easy as just filing out a negative carrier, but it's certainly not hard.

This is a statement I stand by.

I'm pretty well acquainted with the wet darkroom. I'm not sure where my meaning became unclear to you, but I thought it was obvious that what I mean was:
"Fake" ?

If I create the look of a filed out negative carrier, without using a filed out negative carrier, that's "fake"

The fact that it cost money and was made with things one can touch is irrelevant. "Fake" means "not genuine, a forgery, or sham", it does not mean "digital".

Black border is a black border. You guys are hung up on this filling out the negative carrier ? Sounds like lomography of that time. :1219:. The border in OP sample is too perfect to be done this way unless the artist used some sort of laser cutting device to enlarge the window in the carrier.

I have no idea why you continue to argue here, about essentially nothing. Enjoy yourself!

Just laughing...

Had you bothered to actually read the thread you might have learned something, but, laugh away. It's easier than reading!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back