Best editing technique for Sun Bright light/Hazy/Sunflare images.

Melody613

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last year when I had mini sessions at a Christmas Tree Farm I lucked out and had great light. This year not so much! I had no choice but to step out of my comfort zone and embrace the high sun and sun flares. Any advice on the best editing technique, action or preset for editing these images that will work WITH the lighting situation and give the images a dreamy look rather than trying to fight and counteract the light? Does that even make any sense? LOL
Thank you in advance for any feedback. I don't feel like these were my best work and I am stressing. :(

PS. I am trying to upload a few of the images to show what I mean but keep getting a "security error" . :/

_D61_1210_converted_Batch 2_LR reduced2.JPG
_D61_1209_converted_Batch 2-2_LR reduced2.JPG
_D61_1207_converted_Batch 2-2_LR reduced2.JPG
_D61_1210_converted_Batch 2-4_LR reduced2.JPG

These images were shot directly into the sun with a cheap $19.95 70-200 mm f/4~f/5.6 lens that I bought at a pawn shop. Obviously this lens flares quite badly when shot directly into the sun. I used it because I wanted in camera lens flare. This was a 1990's Tokina. I emphasized the flare in Lightroom

Last edited:
Any advice on the best editing technique, action or preset for editing these images that will work WITH the lighting situation and give the images a dreamy look rather than trying to fight and counteract the light?
Hi, Melody613. When working with lighting conditions that introduce flare, you can either change directions, or just go with it. I would not try to edit flare out, because it is just too complicated to produce an image that doesn't look like it has (had) flare.

Most reactions

Back