Best camera for bears - beginner needs advice

I definitely think we should arm bears with cameras. They'd probably need a GoPro with a helmet, but I could see them with DSLR as long as it had a waterproof housing.

They already use cell phones.

1e0896b954980a53f1ecdcc7cd762da8.jpg

I definitely think we should arm bears with cameras. They'd probably need a GoPro with a helmet, but I could see them with DSLR as long as it had a waterproof housing.

Ok, so I guess I'm going to have to be the one that points out that time we gave them surface to air missiles. As I recall that didn't work out all that well.

Ok, so I guess I'm going to have to be the one that points out that time we gave them surface to air missiles. As I recall that didn't work out all that well.
I think the problem was "surface to air"... I'd be ok with air-to-surface, but then we'd have to give them jets. I can't imagine that'd turn out well.

I have a P600 that takes great photos.
No offense intended, but that is not a very good photograph. I couldn't say how your camera would do on bears, but this shot of the moon is very soft over much of the frame and very noisy.
You mean a photo taken with a 200 dollar camera at full zoom...at an object that is not even in our shared atmosphere... can't complete with something taken with several thousand dollars worth of pro level gear?

Well... no shrimp there, Sherlock.

I looked up the P600. The review said it's amazingly clear and sharp at the extreme end of its telephoto lens, but the trade-off is barrel distortion at the wide-angle end. The specs said it goes to 1440 mm (35-mm equivalent). Cannon's biggest telephoto lens is "only" 500 mm. Which makes me wonder if 1440 (equivalent) is really all that useful. Of course, I don't know what changes when we're talking about the digital camera "equivalent" of a 35-mm camera lens length.

I honestly don't know either. I read that too. What I did before I bought mine was to go on Flickr and search photos taken with various cameras and see what they looked like. For me, it was a good choice. Now, I did upgrade later to a DSLR.. but sometimes the point and shoot just makes more sense.

I looked up the P600. The review said it's amazingly clear and sharp at the extreme end of its telephoto lens, but the trade-off is barrel distortion at the wide-angle end. The specs said it goes to 1440 mm (35-mm equivalent). Cannon's biggest telephoto lens is "only" 500 mm. Which makes me wonder if 1440 (equivalent) is really all that useful. Of course, I don't know what changes when we're talking about the digital camera "equivalent" of a 35-mm camera lens length.

I honestly don't know either. I read that too. What I did before I bought mine was to go on Flickr and search photos taken with various cameras and see what they looked like. For me, it was a good choice. Now, I did upgrade later to a DSLR.. but sometimes the point and shoot just makes more sense.

Part of my mind says that at my level of ability and discernment, there's not going to be a lot of difference between any two major name-brand cameras at similar prices, other than choices such as focal length and whether or not one wants wi-fi, GPS, waterproofing, etc. I don't feel the need for any of that fancy stuff other than a good zoom, a decent lens for the price, and image stabilization, which my little camera has, and which seems to make a big difference.

I think lobster is over-rated. Just about anything will taste good with as much butter on it as people put on lobster. OTOH, they're pretty cool to see when you're diving. I'll take grouper over lobster any day. A grouper bit me on the ear once. So a day or two later I ordered grouper at a restaurant as a revenge meal, and it was really good. Make the ocean safe for divers: Eat more grouper.

This really winds me up these beautiful animals should be left alone to live their lives in peace

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

And yet at the same time eco-tourism is a means to which wild animals can generate revenue which in turn puts a monetary value on them and the land they live in. It's one of the cornerstones of some conservation movements in trying to get local people to accept wildlife rather than focus on removal and using the land for other "productive" enterprises.

Although I would agree that when you've got 40 jeeps all around 1 lion its getting a bit silly. But in general a lot of animals get used to vehicles - heck cheetah are well renowned to using jeeps on safari as lookout-posts an thus will jump right up ontop of them for a vantage point.
I'll stick to watching David Attenborough from the comfort of my seat with a pint of real ale, I'll also get a better view

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Part of my mind says that at my level of ability and discernment, there's not going to be a lot of difference between any two major name-brand cameras at similar prices, other than choices such as focal length and whether or not one wants wi-fi, GPS, waterproofing, etc. I don't feel the need for any of that fancy stuff other than a good zoom, a decent lens for the price, and image stabilization, which my little camera has, and which seems to make a big difference.

I think lobster is over-rated. Just about anything will taste good with as much butter on it as people put on lobster. OTOH, they're pretty cool to see when you're diving. I'll take grouper over lobster any day. A grouper bit me on the ear once. So a day or two later I ordered grouper at a restaurant as a revenge meal, and it was really good. Make the ocean safe for divers: Eat more grouper.

Oh yeah, my level either! LOL!! I went with a Nikon mostly because I've always had good luck with them. I just knew I wanted a big zoom lens.

I don't butter lobster much. I actually like the taste of lobster.
As for grouper.. I'll eat anything fish shaped. Raw, cooked... whatever. Fish are delicious.

Only turf. Unless 'surf' can mean salmon... then it's on. LOL.

Have to check with the judges on that one I guess. Lobster would work I suppose. But still, no shrimp.. major bummer.
I never saw the appeal of shrimp. Too chewy, LOL.

But lobster.. I do like that, now.
What? How are you getting chewy shrimp?
If I was a beginner trying to get near photos I would use a LUMIX FZ300 or FZ1000 If the budget allows.

Only turf. Unless 'surf' can mean salmon... then it's on. LOL.

Have to check with the judges on that one I guess. Lobster would work I suppose. But still, no shrimp.. major bummer.
I never saw the appeal of shrimp. Too chewy, LOL.

But lobster.. I do like that, now.
What? How are you getting chewy shrimp?
If I was a beginner trying to get near photos I would use a LUMIX FZ300 or FZ1000 If the budget allows.
Apparently you have never had overcooked shrimp. Like calamari if you overcook it, it becomes chewy. Definitely not Good Eats!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back