another sensor cleaning post

Hi!! So it was recommended to me to try and clean my own sensor. With my canon I think I had my sensor cleaned 6 times in ten years LOL. But my sony, I've had 6 months and it's SO dirty, I'm currently cloning spots of 1000000000000 portraits right now. Is this just bad luck or does the sensor get dirtier more easily on the mirrorless?

Any recommendations on what kit I can get on Amazon prime (have a shoot next week). Does it matter that I get the exact match size of the little cleaning swab (to my sensor)? Sony a7iii
I had dirt on my a6000 sensor and brought it to Samy’s for cleaning. The tech used a rocket type blower on it, checked it and gave it back to me perfectly clean. They didn’t charge anything for this, either. I encourage you to try blowing the dust off this way, if it is dust that is the problem. BTW, I only had the kit lens for the camera and it had never been off the camera. When I mentioned that, the tech pointed out that every time you zoom a lens, it sucks air - and dust - into the camera.

BTW, I only had the kit lens for the camera and it had never been off the camera. When I mentioned that, the tech pointed out that every time you zoom a lens, it sucks air - and dust - into the camera.

Exactly. And the environment you're using the camera in, determines how much dust and crud it collects. Both on the sensor and inside the lens. Take all the precautions you want. It's inevitable in the end.................Unless you only use primes and change them in a sterile lab. LOL.

My D7100 is now showing spots that the rocket blower won't remove. Appreciate all the info. Still not sure I want to tackle this myself.

Something simple that I was taught early on is to point your camera down when changing lenses. It's uncomfortable and a little more difficult, but any dust that's dislodged will fall down and out, rather than down on the sensor.

Super easy to do yourself. I use the ones smoke linked. I have done mirrorless, DSLR, and Medium format. 3 different sizes with matched swap sizes for sensor. Follow the instructions. You will get more spots if you change lenses a lot or out in the field.

I think weather sealing makes a difference too. I’ve noticed whenever I use one of my cheaper non weather sealed lenses I get more dust than with the weather sealed. And yes like @otherprof said the zooms are dust devils.

....The tech used a rocket type blower on it, checked it and gave it back to me perfectly clean. They didn’t charge anything for this, either. I encourage you to try blowing the dust off this way, if it is dust that is the problem. BTW, I only had the kit lens for the camera and it had never been off the camera. When I mentioned that, the tech pointed out that every time you zoom a lens, it sucks air - and dust - into the camera.
I ordered the rocket blower too! Thank you! I have been using primes mostly, but I do a lot of lens changing and I am not very careful :( :(

Something simple that I was taught early on is to point your camera down when changing lenses. It's uncomfortable and a little more difficult, but any dust that's dislodged will fall down and out, rather than down on the sensor.

I need to be better at this. I am always rushing when it comes to changing my lenses.!! I think I got a lot of these spots when I was shooting in the snow o_O

Yes the snow shooting is fun but messy! I’m going to clean my gear today. Thanks for the reminder.

I use the kit listed and canned air. No problems.

I have something in my center that has resisted cleaning. I’ve tried several times and it just won’t come off. It has been there for years and is only visible with open sky pics as it’s in the top left of the screen. It could be a tiny scratch. Tried again yesterday and no luck. I out a significant amount of pressure and went over it several times and it is still there. I may take it for a pro cleaning at Hunts. Or I may continue to ignore it. anyone have any experience where YOU couldn’t get it but a camera store person was successful?

I have never taken my cameras to a store for cleaning, I do it myself with the proper tools. Some spots are stubborn and different fluids can be beneficial.

I recommend a sensor loupe that has enough LED’s to illuminate the sensor from various angles. This provides shadows around the particulate for easier viewing. It will also assist in determining if it is gunk or a scratch.

FWIW, I bought a Fuji XT-1 when they first came out as a light travel system and it had a big dust particle that I only determined with a sensor loupe was under the sensor glass. So much for quality control, I sold off the entire Fuji system and never looked back.

Hi!! So it was recommended to me to try and clean my own sensor. With my canon I think I had my sensor cleaned 6 times in ten years LOL. But my sony, I've had 6 months and it's SO dirty, I'm currently cloning spots of 1000000000000 portraits right now. Is this just bad luck or does the sensor get dirtier more easily on the mirrorless?

Any recommendations on what kit I can get on Amazon prime (have a shoot next week). Does it matter that I get the exact match size of the little cleaning swab (to my sensor)? Sony a7iii

I use the Artic Butterfly for cleaning. It's superb for keeping your sensor clean.

Most reactions

Back