"...almost realistic pictures."

Hard to tell what is real or AI. Reading the article, someone won a photography contest with an AI image. Perhaps the raw file should be submitted too?

I am on a group that creates backgrounds for composites. The new trend is AI generated backgrounds. Pretty impressive results. The creators sell the AI images along side their Photoshop creations. MidJourney mentioned in the article is the AI they are using.

Quote.....“These AI images were created using images from Star Wars, 80s hip hop photographers, XXL magazine, and Vibe magazine, among others. I think it’s unfair to the original photographers but under current laws, it’s considered artistic appropriation,” he says.

I thought this AI stuff was all made in the 'puter and not using other peeps photos to manipulate? Sorry, but I deny its artist value.

When I first bought Photoshop Elements twenty years ago or more I played with all the filters creating "works of art". After a while it got boring and old so I stopped. Those filters are still there though. I wonder if that's what's going to happen with AI produced photos. After you played with awhile, will it just get old?

On the other hand, could it turn off photographers from actually shooting a camera? Why bother if you can get better results sitting in your pajamas in your armchair and typing a few words and letting the computer do everything? Why get up before surise to get ready to catch a real shot?

The buzz word today is "AI". Adobe is updating every day with AI features that automatically do the edits for you, there's even evolving software out there that creates the image from scratch for you. Here's one that members might find amusing 🤖 🖼 AI Art Generator, AI Art Maker you describe in the words what you want to see, and the online software will create it.

All these "smart programs" begs the question is photography dying? Myself, I'm not a big fan of the AI movement for one reason.......it takes away my individual creativity. From the moment I take my camera out of the bag, to the final post editing, I'm on an individual creative journey. The image I create is "mine", others may copy my technique, others may create their own take on a subject, but what I create is mine. Any comments???

The buzz word today is "AI". Adobe is updating every day with AI features that automatically do the edits for you, there's even evolving software out there that creates the image from scratch for you. Here's one that members might find amusing 🤖 🖼 AI Art Generator, AI Art Maker you describe in the words what you want to see, and the online software will create it.

All these "smart programs" begs the question is photography dying? Myself, I'm not a big fan of the AI movement for one reason.......it takes away my individual creativity. From the moment I take my camera out of the bag, to the final post editing, I'm on an individual creative journey. The image I create is "mine", others may copy my technique, others may create their own take on a subject, but what I create is mine. Any comments???

Your thread came very close on the heels of this thread on the same subject, so the threads were merged to consolidate the discussion already happening here.

Myself, I'm not a big fan of the AI movement for one reason.......it takes away my individual creativity.
Green Box Auto to another level.

Ikea didn't kill furniture carpenters, the email didn't kill letters, the internet didn't kill phone calls.

How happy are you when you get a hand written letter from a friend, instead of an email? AI will change everything but the scarcity of real photography will make it even more valuable for some.

Ikea didn't kill furniture carpenters, the email didn't kill letters, the internet didn't kill phone calls.

How happy are you when you get a hand written letter from a friend, instead of an email? AI will change everything but the scarcity of real photography will make it even more valuable for some.

When was the last time you got a hand-written letter from a friend in the mail?

Ikea didn't kill furniture carpenters,

Not really a valid comparison. Ikea sells products mass produced in a factory, not created on the spot from a description. And, carpenters build structures, craftsmen build furniture.

The biggest problem I see with AI, is it cheapens creativity. It's already happening with cell phones, creating unrealistic opinions of the experience and work required to create a quality image.

I think the same thing about AI as I do about art created with graphic art computer programs: do whatever you want with it, but just don't call it "photography." It can be creative and useful, yadda yadda, but it's a different art form. When someone uses a pre-set filter to make a photograph look like an oil painting, we don't call it a "painting" do we? Then why should we call it photography just because it looks like a photograph?

Ultimately, artists can do whatever the hell they want with the tools available to them. I personally have less than zero use for this technology, but I also don't give a rat's ass about what others want to do with their time or their art.

But just be honest about what and how you're creating.

I tried the provoded link and it refused to generate a portrait of a rat's ass as well as various other things. After finally finding some non-prohibited nice words that apparently didn't hurt the computer's delicate feelings it spit out some random picture having nothing remotely associated with anything I had typed.
None of my cameras have ever told me what I can and can't take a picture of.
None of my cameras have ever just taken some random picture having nothing to do with what was in front of the lens.
I have yet to deliberately smash a camera, but I can't say the same about computers.

I tried the provoded link and it refused to generate a portrait of a rat's ass as well as various other things. After finally finding some non-prohibited nice words that apparently didn't hurt the computer's delicate feelings it spit out some random picture having nothing remotely associated with anything I had typed.
None of my cameras have ever told me what I can and can't take a picture of.
None of my cameras have ever just taken some random picture having nothing to do with what was in front of the lens.
I have yet to deliberately smash a camera, but I can't say the same about computers.
Lol, I didn't go further but apparently for a fee you can get additional options to make it more realistic

It's good that it can be more realistic as the pictures it showed me looked like something from a video game.

I've always thought of photography as capturing photons. The photons can be captured chemically with emulsions or electronically with digital sensors, but they were all radiated or reflected from something.

I agree. AI is just someone's else vision of art.

Most reactions

Back