Aircraft and Aviation Theme

This Grumman Goose

Is that a Goose or a Wigeon?

I was in Kodiak a few years ago when a Wigeon flew over. I was told that it was in pristine condition.

With apologies for answering on behalf of Gardyloo, it is definitely a Goose. The Widgeon has a nose wheel.

Dang it. Scratch that last comment. I was thinking of a Mallard which has a nose wheel.
Still a Goose, though. The radial engines identify it along with being a bit bigger overall

Last edited:
sept08-059as.jpg

You had to know that @zulu42 and I would flag this as the winner.

You had to know that @zulu42 and I would flag this as the winner.

Thanks very much. FWIW here's the same lake without a plane (and a different year) -

I really appreciate unadulterated nature and those photos really make the point. I've canoed the Boundary Waters of Northern MN where we had two lakes to ourselves for four days. But... this (Oshkosh) is what the window out of every tent should look like (and even better if there are floats on it):

20160726_175053.jpg

Reactions: pez

If that's yours, how are you getting on with it?

I'm coming close to getting the Air 2 (as per my Drone Thread). Considering Drone

It's my grandson's. He loves it, got it for Christmas last year. He is very skilled with it as well. Camera is good on it from the pics he has showed me. The thing is small.
I've had a Mini for almost a year. It's been great fun, the video is good, and stills are pretty good- would be better if DJI would free up the RAW though. I love the portability of it, and if I spring for a Mavic Air 2 or something, I'll still keep the Mini for something small to keep handy in the trunk of the car. There have been a few nail biting moments for sure, but I miraculously still have the original props on it.

Cheers guys, good info.

Not far from where I live, in the next valley over, is the world famous Ridge Soaring Gliderport. The owners, Tom Knauff and Doris Grove, have set scores of soaring records over the decades. In 1983 Tom set a world record of 1023 miles that held for 20 years and Doris holds at least twenty other records. I drive by there often on my way to various lakes/creeks that I kayak, and on a good day I stop and watch the gliders in action. There's also a few motorized aircraft located there, and I often see this guy on a peaceful evening cruising up the valley. The gliderport is now for sale as both Tom and Doris are in their 80's.
37994166_10214699526540765_8370549586665668608_n_InPixio.jpg
gl.2-2_InPixio.jpg

A couple more from Alaska...

From a fly-in fishing/camping trip on the Kenai peninsula

PICT0595a.jpg

And a balloon festival in Anchorage in mid-winter...

PICT0594a.jpg

PICT0651a.jpg

Most reactions

Back