72" Umbrella

@JBPhotog Just the person I need to talk to. I also ordered the diffusion sock for it. When using the large umbrella, I've heard that you need upwards of double the power/strobe output vs a smaller modifier. Did you find this to be true? Also they seem to be working with distance to the subject at around 8-10 ft. Is this a good distance to start with? Finally I've seen a lot of photographers actually standing in front of the light which seems wrong to me, but they claim it doesn't have any negative effects. Opinions???

I totally forgot about Annie Leibovitz, thanks for the reminder.

Hmm, I have never really been too concerned with power loss since the reason I use a large modifier is to light a larger area or provide a really soft illumination. You can expect to see about a 1 stop loss with diffusion with the caveat it all depends on the density of your diffusion. FWIW, Leibovitz used more than one layer of diffusion when she used the Photek Softlighters.

When using the 7' umbrella I start with what look am I attempting to achieve, that alone determines how far it is from the subject. That pesky inverse square law comes into play. For example if I want a large modifier to wash the entire subject with rapid fall off, it is close to them and if I want to lower the fall off rate, I can pull it back and it still lights the entire subject, which may be too much spill, YMMV. The one advantage if you are attempting to even out the illumination of the background a 7' can do this.

Standing in front of the umbrella is a good way to achieve on axis fill when used with additional off axis key lights, an effective way to fill in shadows while not creating any cross shadows. Or if you want the flat light look, use it exclusively, I don't do this in my work BTW, it is often used in fashion though.

No question, the white shoot through with black back. If you want big, you probabley want soft. But it is a multi tasker. I use mine out doors to have someone hold between subj and sun to soften the harsh mid day light. Can be a shoot through or bounce umbrella in studio. I have the AB parabolics and the silver produces a spot light effect and I have used it high, aimed down on a subject to create that spot light. The AB's are cheap enough to get one of each.

No question, the white shoot through with black back. If you want big, you probabley want soft. But it is a multi tasker. I use mine out doors to have someone hold between subj and sun to soften the harsh mid day light. Can be a shoot through or bounce umbrella in studio. I have the AB parabolics and the silver produces a spot light effect and I have used it high, aimed down on a subject to create that spot light. The AB's are cheap enough to get one of each.

That was my choice, but unfortunately was on backorder and no idea of when it would be in stock. I went with the white with black back, once I see how I like it, will probably add both the translucent and the silver.

I like dramatic shots with shadow definition, but I also like a lighter feel with even lighting. From all I've read this will produce that. How about in studio, have you used the translucent? Supposedly it can really produce a really soft light up close.

Last edited:
So the new modifier came in. Sock won't be here till Saturday. Hmmm. Wonder what DW would say about building that new studio?
20201105_162558.jpg

Looks good, which brand did you go with?

@JBPhotog it's a mid line Glow. Seems to be well made.

So the new modifier came in. Sock won't be here till Saturday. Hmmm. Wonder what DW would say about building that new studio?
View attachment 199893

That pic shows what I was told, when I was going to get a 60 inch umbrella.
The space a LARGE umbrella takes up is significant. It WILL get in the way, unless you have a studio with a high ceiling and lots of horizontal space.
In hind sight, I was glad I took the salesman's recommendation to use a 42 inch umbrella. I did not have the space to comfortably use a large umbrella.

@ac12 My studio space shares double duty with a F350 dually, so when it gets relegated to the barn I have a nice size area with 12' ceilings. Don't think space will be an issue.

I can clamp the diffusion panel from a 6.5' square scrim and double diffuse it or roll the scrim a few inches in front of it. Be aware, these puppies are more fragile than most other modifiers. Out doors a 6 footer is a sail, like this
Sailboat web.jpg

7' octa.

@mrca depending on the wind just about anything can become a sail, but it would have to be a "dead calm" day for me to consider the 7' outside. My nerves would be shot.

Most reactions

Back