The Journey Begins

The Focus knob is just fixed on by a nut ... I think.

As I understand it the knob is friction fit on the shaft, held in place with a screw on the end.

Based on evidence I've found so far, I believe others have been into the camera so there's a good chance that it's not correctly located.

On my EM, there is a set screw that locks the viewing lens
I can loosen that and unscrew the the viewing lens assembly
The front and rear group can be unscrewed from the centre threaded column.
The first and third element are held in by a ring ... the front elements curve towards the front, and the third curves towards the rear ... ( ( )

DSC01034.jpeg

Last edited:
The focus knob is secured by one nut.
The knob has a stopper that keeps it from going further than infinity.
DSC01035.jpeg

@dxqcanada thanks for the info. Ill check that out.

it appears that you've removed the lens/shutter deck to access the set screw. I'll have to pull it again, but I don't remember the focus lens barrel having any threads inside or outside. I'm wondering if it's different on the LM

Hmm, all of the Yashica TLR's that I have had use the same screw on viewing lens.
I pulled out my Yashica 635 ... it also has the same viewing lens

Last edited:
The focus knob is secured by one nut.
The knob has a stopper that keeps it from going further than infinity.View attachment 275288

Note the Infinity mark on yours is almost centered on the dot between 3 & 5. Now look where the infinity mark is on mine? Also I'm that the two small holes 180 degrees opposite of the center are for unscrewing the center with a spanner???
20240427_095709_resized.jpg

On my EM, there is a set screw that locks the viewing lens
I can loosen that and unscrew the the viewing lens assembly
The front and rear group can be unscrewed from the centre threaded column.
The first and third element are held in by a ring ... the front elements curve towards the front, and the third curves towards the rear ... ( ( )

View attachment 275286

This appears that you removed both the lens deck and the top cover to access this, Is that correct?

Yeah, to get to the set screw you have to take the front off.
If your focus infinity mark does not sit at 3.5 when the front rack is fully retracted back, then you need to get to that bolt in the middle. You have to unscrew that center cover.

Hmm, looking at your image ... the front does not seem to be fully retracted.
Wait a minute, am I completely crazy???? That picture shows the front FULLY extended, which I assumed to be infinity???? With it fully retracted, the infinity mark is bottom front at approximately 7 o'clock.

Infinity is when the front is pulled back ... the lenses are closer to the film plane.
When you focus to something closer the front will move outward away from the film plane.

Infinity is when the front is pulled back ... the lenses are closer to the film plane.
When you focus to something closer the front will move outward away from the film plane.

You've been a big help, I need to open the back and check infinity focus on the Focus lens again, I had it completely opposite.:uncomfortableness:

Most reactions

Back