Gardeners! Share your garden photos and garden chatter here.

Busy day around our pile for once. City sells rain barrels cheap to residents in May. Minor plumbing challenges for an overflow barrel. Plants dig rain water over the processed stuff. Rumors of a dry summer in
S. Ontario?

View attachment 275085
I've been interested in a rain barrel, but two issues seem to be the problems inherent in overwintering a large plastic thing like this - wouldn't it be subject to cracking? - and also in the hot months, how much maintenance is involved in keeping the water clean and not going moldy in there?

I've been interested in a rain barrel, but two issues seem to be the problems inherent in overwintering a large plastic thing like this - wouldn't it be subject to cracking? - and also in the hot months, how much maintenance is involved in keeping the water clean and not going moldy in there?
Drained, dried out and stored in a shed in the fall for us. Never a problem. Diverters have filter screens on the output hoses. There's also a fine mesh screen on top of the barrel to keep out mosquitos and anything the diverters miss. Frankly, there's enough water exchange here to keep muck from forming in the barrel. A great help at the family ruin where we've positioned barrels on downspouts near thirsty shrubs and beds reachable only with impractical lengths of hose.

Soon, soon. mmmmmm.

20240511_105333.jpeg

Backbreaking work filling this thing. Had to get bagged soil as I don’t have the space in the driveway for them to dump even a 1/2 yard. Each bag weighed 40lbs. Had to be hauled in from the driveway to the yard then lifted into the bed and dumped. I didn’t have the patience to wait for Princess to help out so I did it myself. Plus filled 7 grow bags. 18 bags of soil. At least it was nice and cool here. Tomorrow should be 80°!

Planted 38 dahlias! 24 different varieties. Got 6 in the front of this new bed and going to plant 3-4 clematis in the back.

IMG_8004.jpeg

Backbreaking work filling this thing. Had to get bagged soil as I don’t have the space in the driveway for them to dump even a 1/2 yard. Each bag weighed 40lbs. Had to be hauled in from the driveway to the yard then lifted into the bed and dumped. I didn’t have the patience to wait for Princess to help out so I did it myself. Plus filled 7 grow bags. 18 bags of soil. At least it was nice and cool here. Tomorrow should be 80°!

Planted 38 dahlias! 24 different varieties. Got 6 in the front of this new bed and going to plant 3-4 clematis in the back.

View attachment 275124
You're rolling like a monster! That's a ton of work. I sure wouldn't have attempted it without a second pair of hands. Whew!

The bin looks great, and I like a trellis just about anywhere. It's going to look gorgeous!

I want a couple of these tubs behind my garage, which is along the back property line where there's full sun all day. They'll be my vegetable gardens. Love these bins!

View attachment 275124
Plant a few carrots at the front for the town bunnys please🤪.

The boys are exhausted with 3 nights camping, were all sleeping in comfort inside tonight. Not that it's uncomfortable out there, its pretty darn cosy and warm...

Thumper always eating,
IMG_20240514_124758.jpg

IMG_20240514_125647.jpg

Ps. Doh my bad, thought this was the tea-house, i mean coffee-house.

Last edited:
You're rolling like a monster! That's a ton of work. I sure wouldn't have attempted it without a second pair of hands. Whew!

The bin looks great, and I like a trellis just about anywhere. It's going to look gorgeous!

I want a couple of these tubs behind my garage, which is along the back property line where there's full sun all day. They'll be my vegetable gardens. Love these bins!
I got this one (6x3) and two smaller (4x2) from Amazon. They were tedious to put together but not difficult. They feel very sturdy and have a brace at the center to keep from bulging. Let me know if you want the link. Prices were reasonable compared to the crazy costs on some of the garden websites.

Plant a few carrots at the front for the town bunnys please🤪.
I’ve already put up 2’ of chicken wire around all of them. The bunnies can have the clover and the dandelions and occasionally I leave them some veggies if we don’t use all that we buy for a meal.

Got the patio herb pot planted -- thyme, rosemary and oregano. Basil gets a pot of it's own and there's a big sage bush and lots of mint in the vegetable garden. Fuji X-T2 w/TTArtisan 23mm f/1.4

herb-pot.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back