What resolutions & frame rates do you use

jamesd1981

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to simplify my recording choices, so i can make a very small group of presets, so wondering what combinations are people`s top choices

I`m thinking the likes of 2160 & 1440 with 30, 60, 120, 240 frame rates ?

Is there any reason to still use the likes of 1080p or 24fps ?

The equipment i currently have is a Xiaomi 13T pro & dji action 4 camera

it is only for personal use Alan, no business or public Youtube, only upload to Youtube to share with family

My camera shoots at 4K 30fps max or 1080 at 60fps. I found that on my 75" TV, it's hard to see any difference between 1080 and 4k (2160) from 14 feet away. Closer up you can see it and generally 4K looks better even if I can't see the resolution difference, if that makes sense. Aesthetically 4K seems better. But for short videos on vacation for example, I shoot 4K. Also, my camera overheats if I;m shooting at 4K for more than 5 minutes so I would need to shoot 1080 for longer clips. But your camera might be better than mine and not overheat. I can shoot at 1080 and 120 but that;s for slow motion when edited back to 30fps for playback. I suppose slow motion is what 240 can be used for on your camera. I use Adobe Premiere Elements for video editing and production.

Regarding frame rate, there are good Youtubes showing comparisons of different rates and how they affect the results. Also, keep in mind that the shutter speed for video is important as well. You usually should set it for 1/2 the frame rate. So if you shoot at 60fps, the shutter should be set for 1/30th. Shoot at 30fps, the shutter should be at 1/15 of a second. The problem though is sometimes the lighting is too great so you need a neutral density filter. One is already built into my camera to handle this lighting issue. Of course you can leave it on Auto and let the camera deal with the shutter speed. For home use, that's probably good enough as most people would never see the difference.

Youtube will allow up to 4K to be uploaded and played back from their site. I've used both 4K and 1080. You can see some of my videos on my two YouTube sites linked below. Good luck and feel free to ask any additional questions.

Frame rate comparisons:

I would say that if you are only going to view your clips on a cellphone then 1080p can be good enough. If you are going to view on something like a >14" screen, then 4K is preferable. Having said that, I am dropping back to Full HD (1080p) lately for storage reasons. For now, I prefer 30 fps, but if I could, I would default record at 36 fps. Having said this, proper support of 36 fps does not exist, so I would not necessarily recommend it to others. In theory, IF the software was available, you could take a 36 fps file and convert it to 24 fps, 30 fps, 24 fps slow motion, and maybe stretch it to 60 fps slow motion. But, as I have said, the necessary software does not exist, so I would advise that you consider this much "pipe-dreaming".

Last edited:
I am looking to simplify my recording choices, so i can make a very small group of presets, so wondering what combinations are people`s top choices

I`m thinking the likes of 2160 & 1440 with 30, 60, 120, 240 frame rates ?

Is there any reason to still use the likes of 1080p or 24fps ?

The equipment i currently have is a Xiaomi 13T pro & dji action 4 camera
Focus on 4K/30fps and 1440p/60fps for quality and smooth motion. Use 1080p/120fps for slow-motion. 24fps is for a cinematic feel, but not essential. Simplifying to these presets should cover most needs.

Focus on 4K/30fps and 1440p/60fps for quality and smooth motion. Use 1080p/120fps for slow-motion. 24fps is for a cinematic feel, but not essential. Simplifying to these presets should cover most needs.
Isn;t 1440 for 4:3 format (1440x1080). Isn't most video 16:9 or 1920x1080, the same as older HD TV's? ?

If you're simplifying, stick to 2160p for the best quality and consider 30, 60, and 120 fps for most situations. 24 fps is great for a cinematic look but might not be necessary unless that's a style you prefer. 1080p is still useful for smaller file sizes or lower-end uses.

Thanks all for the responses, I am thinking probably 1080p & 2160 with 30, 60, 120, 240 and if any problems with light flicker i can adjust to 25, 50 & 100

Although 1440 seems like a good balance, it feels like it doesn`t have the quality of 4K nor the small file size of 1080p

Most reactions

Back