Need a Smaller/Lighter Camera for Travel

~Ocho1~

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

So as the title says, I'm looking for a smaller/lighter set up than what I have now for when we travel.

Recently took a trip to San Diego where some days we walked over 12 miles. Carrying my D780 w/85mm lens got to me, by the end of the day it felt like I had a toddler hanging off my shoulder. By the end of the trip I seriously just wanted to get back to the hotel & drop off the camera.

Been reading a lot about the Fujifilm X-T5 & actually handled one the other day & I liked it. I know it's a crop sensor, as opposed to the full frame I have now, but I feel I can live with the trade off (I use to shoot with a D5100 before the D780)

The OM System OM-5 is another one which I've considered, as it's substantially smaller than my D780, but still not convinced on the Micro 4/3 sensors.

I'm not a pro photographer, just a dude that likes to take pictures. My main photography when we travel is street, architecture & some landscape (it all depends on the trip we're taking). But basically looking for something I can carry around all day & not be hating it by the end of the day, haha.

So I would love to hear your opinions. Has anyone been shooting with an X-T5 for a while & how do you like it? How about an OM-5?

Pros/cons?

Thanks in advance.

Obligatory photos from trip.....

San Diego_2.jpg

San Diego_1.jpg

San Diego_4.jpg

San Diego_3.jpg

The X-T5 is my travel camera and for nature walks. I generally take the 35 & the 56 on vacation. Very light weight with the 35. I just picked up the 23 and will take that the next trip. The X-T5 is 40mp and I can crop fairly tight.

Try to find an X-T5 bundled with the superb 18-55/2.8-4 at the sometimes offered "kit" price. Great travel outfit.

But basically looking for something I can carry around all day & not be hating it by the end of the day, haha.
I do that. I carry a camera with me everywhere I go -- never leave the house without it and otherwise it's on my desk and ready.

It's the camera I use the most and it fits in a jacket pocket: Canon G7xmkII -- 20mp 1" sensor compact with a 4x zoom lens. It's not the camera I use the most because it's my only camera. I have two FF sensor cameras and two APS-C sensor cameras, both Fuji X system (X-T2 and X-T4). The Fujis are very nice. But the size weight difference between those and the FF cameras although real isn't huge. The size and weight difference between all of those and my Canon G7 is huge. What I do with the G7 I would not do with any of those other four cameras -- carry it everywhere. The photos below were all serendipitous taken only because I had the G7 with me. I wasn't out taking photos I was doing other things, but I always have a camera.

The quality of the G7 output with its 1" sensor is excellent. I don't feel like I compromising when I use it. What it lacks that the bigger cameras have is an interchangeable lens system, operational speed, and an eyelevel viewfinder.

canon-g7-01.jpgcanon-g7-02.jpgcanon-g7-03.jpgcanon-g7-04.jpgcanon-g7-05.jpg

My travel/street bag is a Fuji X-100T and Ricoh GR II. My EDC is the little Ricoh.

I'll stick my head above the parapet on behalf of the M4/3 system as was seriously considering an OM1 when I got the Sony.

have used an old Olympus Pen EPL8 for my handy camera (and an even older XZ-1, IMO Olympus are also extremely reliable) and it still produces the goods thanks to the wonderful lenses. They are sharp, give great colours and are amazingly compact - tiny even, below a few shots taken recently with the 2016 Pen and various M4/3 lenses, first and last are low light, I'm sure the OM5 is an order of magnitude more capable.

I've only ever heard good things about anything Fuji also but have no experience with them.

Manila City Stray Family by Tursiops, on Flickr

Sunrise Streets & 3D Billboard by Tursiops, on Flickr

Bus Shelter by Tursiops, on Flickr

Shine from Within by Tursiops, on Flickr

Ducks in a row by Tursiops, on Flickr

Portsmouth Skyline from Selsey West Beach by Tursiops, on Flickr

Well, looks like this decision was taken out of my hands......

Earlier this week, for our 31st anniversary, my wife gifted me a new Fujifilm X-T5!!!

Been so busy this week that I haven't had a chance to play with it. Hoping to get some shots this weekend. Need to set it up & learn the new menu system & all that.

Comparing it to my D780, it is substantially smaller & lighter. Looking forward to our next trip (where ever that may be) to really see what this little guy can do.

Hi Everyone,

So as the title says, I'm looking for a smaller/lighter set up than what I have now for when we travel.

Recently took a trip to San Diego where some days we walked over 12 miles. Carrying my D780 w/85mm lens got to me, by the end of the day it felt like I had a toddler hanging off my shoulder. By the end of the trip I seriously just wanted to get back to the hotel & drop off the camera.

Been reading a lot about the Fujifilm X-T5 & actually handled one the other day & I liked it. I know it's a crop sensor, as opposed to the full frame I have now, but I feel I can live with the trade off (I use to shoot with a D5100 before the D780)

The OM System OM-5 is another one which I've considered, as it's substantially smaller than my D780, but still not convinced on the Micro 4/3 sensors.

I'm not a pro photographer, just a dude that likes to take pictures. My main photography when we travel is street, architecture & some landscape (it all depends on the trip we're taking). But basically looking for something I can carry around all day & not be hating it by the end of the day, haha.

So I would love to hear your opinions. Has anyone been shooting with an X-T5 for a while & how do you like it? How about an OM-5?

Pros/cons?

Thanks in advance.
Got OMD EM1-3 and EM5-2, plus Pen-F.
Best word for OM sruff is "lovable" !

I use a Nikon Z50 with 16-50 and 50-250 lens kit. Those were the only lenses available when I bought my kit. Now they have added a 12-24 and a 18-140. The Z50 with the 18-140 may be all one needs for travel. It has a popup flash and a hot shoe. I have a Godox 350N flash that is small enough not to over power the camera and is truly full featured. All the available lenses are to my knowledge VR which is important because the Z50 doesn't have ibis. The 20mp sensors Image quality is on par with the d7500 / d500, 11 fps is more than adequate and auto focus works fine for me. I don't know anything about the video capabilities as I only use it for stills and do video with my cell phone.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back