Dry Cabinet

TheTickTockMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I live in Salem, Oregon. I keep reading different things about whether I need a dry cabinet or not for my camera items?

Do you think it would be worth the investment for a dry cabinet?

What's your humidity?

Do folks in your town have problems with fungus?

I don't know any other people that use a real camera. Google say Salem's average humidity is around 75%.

I live in Salem, Oregon. I keep reading different things about whether I need a dry cabinet or not for my camera items?

Do you think it would be worth the investment for a dry cabinet?
If you already have a cabinet the only investment need be a light socket and 40 W incandescent bulb.

If you already have a cabinet the only investment need be a light socket and 40 W incandescent bulb.

I don't have a cabinet. I would just buy a smaller dry cabinet if I need one. I use gel packs now.

So, I've been playing with AI lately, CoPilot from Microsoft and Grok from X. I like Grok as it has a bit of personality. I put your question to Grok and here's the answer. I do not stand behind the answer, just passing it on.

Question: If I lived in Salem Oregon where the average humidity is 75%, would you recommend a dry cabinet for my higher end cameras and lenses?

Answer:
Absolutely, if you're living in Salem, Oregon, with its lush, often damp environment where the humidity likes to hover around 75%, a dry cabinet isn't just a recommendation; it's practically a necessity for your high-end camera gear. Here's why:
  1. Fungus Among Us: Cameras and lenses, especially the fancy ones, are like a five-star hotel for fungus. High humidity is the equivalent of leaving the welcome mat out. A dry cabinet keeps the humidity low, making your gear's environment less appealing for fungal guests.
  2. Electronics Don't Swim Well: Your camera's electronic components might not appreciate the moist embrace of Oregon's air. Keeping them dry helps prevent corrosion and electrical issues, which could save you from the heartbreak of a bricked camera.
  3. Longevity of Lenses: Lenses are sensitive souls; they fog up, and over time, that moisture can lead to lens separation or degrade the lens coatings. A dry cabinet ensures your lenses stay clear and functional longer.
  4. Resale Value: Should you ever decide to upgrade or sell your gear, having stored it in a dry cabinet means you can confidently say it's been kept in optimal conditions. This could be the difference between selling it "like new" versus "well, it's seen some humidity."
  5. Convenience: Instead of playing the "will my gear fog up today" game every time you transition from an air-conditioned space to the great outdoors, a dry cabinet helps your gear acclimate gradually.
  6. The Humor Angle: Think of a dry cabinet like a spa for your camera. Just as humans go to dry saunas to sweat out impurities, your camera goes into a dry cabinet to keep itself pristine. Only, instead of sweating, it's doing the opposite – staying impeccably dry. And let's be honest, telling fellow photographers you store your gear in a dry cabinet might just give you that air of a pro, or at least someone who takes their gear's health as seriously as a sommelier takes wine storage.
So, for the sake of your camera's health, your peace of mind, and perhaps a bit of gear snobbery (all in good fun, of course), a dry cabinet in Salem's climate isn't just recommended; it's almost as essential as a good raincover for your camera bag.

I live in SE Texas where we wake up to 80 degree sunrises at 80% humidity all summer, but the air is fairly dry the other three seasons. I don't use a "dry" cabinet as we run the air conditioner constantly, which pulls water out of the air. My house is typically 45- 55% humidity during air conditioning season and about the same in the cooler weather.

So, I've been playing with AI lately, CoPilot from Microsoft and Grok from X. I like Grok as it has a bit of personality. I put your question to Grok and here's the answer. I do not stand behind the answer, just passing it on.

Question: If I lived in Salem Oregon where the average humidity is 75%, would you recommend a dry cabinet for my higher end cameras and lenses?

Answer:
Absolutely, if you're living in Salem, Oregon, with its lush, often damp environment where the humidity likes to hover around 75%, a dry cabinet isn't just a recommendation; it's practically a necessity for your high-end camera gear. Here's why:
  1. Fungus Among Us: Cameras and lenses, especially the fancy ones, are like a five-star hotel for fungus. High humidity is the equivalent of leaving the welcome mat out. A dry cabinet keeps the humidity low, making your gear's environment less appealing for fungal guests.
  2. Electronics Don't Swim Well: Your camera's electronic components might not appreciate the moist embrace of Oregon's air. Keeping them dry helps prevent corrosion and electrical issues, which could save you from the heartbreak of a bricked camera.
  3. Longevity of Lenses: Lenses are sensitive souls; they fog up, and over time, that moisture can lead to lens separation or degrade the lens coatings. A dry cabinet ensures your lenses stay clear and functional longer.
  4. Resale Value: Should you ever decide to upgrade or sell your gear, having stored it in a dry cabinet means you can confidently say it's been kept in optimal conditions. This could be the difference between selling it "like new" versus "well, it's seen some humidity."
  5. Convenience: Instead of playing the "will my gear fog up today" game every time you transition from an air-conditioned space to the great outdoors, a dry cabinet helps your gear acclimate gradually.
  6. The Humor Angle: Think of a dry cabinet like a spa for your camera. Just as humans go to dry saunas to sweat out impurities, your camera goes into a dry cabinet to keep itself pristine. Only, instead of sweating, it's doing the opposite – staying impeccably dry. And let's be honest, telling fellow photographers you store your gear in a dry cabinet might just give you that air of a pro, or at least someone who takes their gear's health as seriously as a sommelier takes wine storage.
So, for the sake of your camera's health, your peace of mind, and perhaps a bit of gear snobbery (all in good fun, of course), a dry cabinet in Salem's climate isn't just recommended; it's almost as essential as a good raincover for your camera bag.

I live in SE Texas where we wake up to 80 degree sunrises at 80% humidity all summer, but the air is fairly dry the other three seasons. I don't use a "dry" cabinet as we run the air conditioner constantly, which pulls water out of the air. My house is typically 45- 55% humidity during air conditioning season and about the same in the cooler weather.

Thank you.

Most reactions

Back