Cheaper to develop your own?

Face it...unless we're paid photographers, our gig is a hobby. Being that the true value is determined by the person with the camera.
Fine but it's magical thinking to argue that costs are somehow inconsequential. Besides, that "true value" is meaningless. Film, paper and chemistry cost money. Think you're confusing personal value with something monetary.

I've always wanted to learn how to develop my own film. Just the thought of shooting roll and developing it myself for the complete experience. I really like b&w film and that's easier to develop, but film isn't cheap and I don't want to ruin the pictures either so it's a tough call.

However, I found a lab that I like..for as little of film I shoot, they are great because it's affordable. I sent in 3 rolls of 35, had them do enhanced scans and they rather high resolution and have the negatives returned for $40 even. I mailed them out on a Saturday and I had scans the following Thursday and my negatives Tuesday. I think it's very reasonable.

What I like is that I have to wait. It's weird, I know. But I am sooo used to shooting digital and immediately load them into Lightroom. I can't do that with film lol so it allows me time to come down the "high" of shooting and thus I appreciate those photos even more after it stewed a little.

But yeah I still wanna try to develop just for the experience and seeing the photos you take come to.life.

I've always wanted to learn how to develop my own film. Just the thought of shooting roll and developing it myself for the complete experience. I really like b&w film and that's easier to develop, but film isn't cheap and I don't want to ruin the pictures either so it's a tough call.

However, I found a lab that I like..for as little of film I shoot, they are great because it's affordable. I sent in 3 rolls of 35, had them do enhanced scans and they rather high resolution and have the negatives returned for $40 even. I mailed them out on a Saturday and I had scans the following Thursday and my negatives Tuesday. I think it's very reasonable.

What I like is that I have to wait. It's weird, I know. But I am sooo used to shooting digital and immediately load them into Lightroom. I can't do that with film lol so it allows me time to come down the "high" of shooting and thus I appreciate those photos even more after it stewed a little.

But yeah I still wanna try to develop just for the experience and seeing the photos you take come to.life.
It takes a little time to learn the process but after that it becomes second nature. B&W is so good for a starter. The processing temperatures are forgiving whereas color needs to be maintained exactly. I began doing it as a young guy of 14 but lost sight of it at 16 due to car driving and girl. Now at the mature age (some in the family would differ on that) I've picked up the hobby again.

Fine but it's magical thinking to argue that costs are somehow inconsequential. Besides, that "true value" is meaningless. Film, paper and chemistry cost money. Think you're confusing personal value with something monetary.
There's a cost to digital and can be rather high too. Some of the better cameras out now can cost $1,000+. If you amortize that in per-shots you most crank like crazy. A casual shooter like me could never justify a good digital using numbers.....it really equates to enjoyment.

There's a cost to digital and can be rather high too. Some of the better cameras out now can cost $1,000+. If you amortize that in per-shots you most crank like crazy. A casual shooter like me could never justify a good digital using numbers.....it really equates to enjoyment.
Been awhile since I've seen that well-chewed old bone excavated...

I liked film and even developed a little, it was a hoot! But much happier with digital. Can see the photo right after shooting it, can't do that with film. Then I can also use the same card over and over, can't used the same film over and over. What's more to get to a film processor where I live is about 60+ miles anymore. If I was going to get back into film, it would be medium format and I have a bunch of developing and printing equip. Of course I also have this computer and a 13" printer also. Not all that great, shoot lot of the time I have no idea what people are talking about here! But I do what I like and if someone else likes it also, so much the better! I'm really not interested in the science behind photography, just doing something I enjoy.

Most reactions

Back