Anyone ever successfully use a teleconvertor with unsupported lenses?

misterjones

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I'm on a bit of a budget and can't really afford to buy lenses in the 400-600mm range like I want. Found out about Canon and Tamron's 1.4 and 2x teleconverters and figured it might be a cheap way to get extra range out of my current lenses. However, looking at both, they only support using their respective higher end long prime lenses and maybe a handful of zoom lenses, none of which I own. So I'm wondering: can these teleconverters be used with unsupported lenses with decent results or can they just not be used all together.

Usually, unsupported means no autofocus, exposure, indexing, etc. You'd have to do everything manually. Maybe even open up the F stop all the way to focus then back down to get the exposure right.

It all depends on your current lenses, age, FF or APC, etc.

Like mentioned above, you will lose autofocus etc. Also likely you will compromise the image quality below where you would like. I use a 1.4X on the RF100-400 but it supports that convertor. I likely lose some image quality but i accept the loss to get the extended reach.

So in summary you will...
* Lose some image sharpness
* Also be one F stop higher with a 1.4X or 2 stops higher on a 2X convertor. This means your ISO will be much higher.
* Autofocus will not work on your camera with either convertor.

So, I'm on a bit of a budget and can't really afford to buy lenses in the 400-600mm range like I want. Found out about Canon and Tamron's 1.4 and 2x teleconverters and figured it might be a cheap way to get extra range out of my current lenses. However, looking at both, they only support using their respective higher end long prime lenses and maybe a handful of zoom lenses, none of which I own. So I'm wondering: can these teleconverters be used with unsupported lenses with decent results or can they just not be used all together.

Any teleconverter that physically fits the camera and lens can be used, though you may lose some functions. Generally teleconverters produce the best results with fast primes and a few high-end zooms – they don’t play well with most other lenses. There are always exceptions, of course, and it may be worth your while to try some combinations. Much depends upon how much image quality you want. I would buy from a reputable second-hand dealer, with a good return policy - there’s always the possibility of a pleasant surprise.

Thanks for all of your answers. I'm going to take it all into consideration and figure out my next steps. I really need to replace my Canon 75-300 kit lens with something nicer first.

Most reactions

Back