Where to market to get product photography projects

Lorretta J Clarke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, have been learning and shooting some product photography. I would some advice on what to include in a portfolio and how/where to get some work?

Since nobody has offered any help/opinions up to now, I guess I will take a stab at it, even though I must declare at the outset that I am not a professional product photographer.

First; you need to "network" with anybody and everybody who is either doing that work now, or needing it done. If you have manufacturers or wholesalers in your area who might need good photos, (see what they're using now) make a cold call.

Before you make a cold call, have your portfolio to include some (good) photos of anything similar to your target client. If it is something round and shiny, make sure your portfolio has something round and shiny (done well) and then point out to them the deficiencies in their current photos, and sell your services as someone who can deliver a better product.

I assume you have been studying how other photographers do it, so do it like that. Set up your product and shot in a way that really does justice to the product. (appropriate setting, angles, lighting, etc.)

Make some prints to show when you are visiting in person, and have a few sample shots standing by for e-mail communications. Don't shoot the exact same product as you are soliciting for until you have a contract.

Don't shoot the exact same product as you are soliciting for until you have a contract.

All good advice but I might partially disagree with this. If it's a digital image, yes no need to tempt some one, but I'm not so sure that a print (with watermark front and back) wouldn't be bad. Especially if your print is superior to the image used in their product literature,ads, etc Call it "your" business card.

Don't shoot the exact same product as you are soliciting for until you have a contract.

All good advice but I might partially disagree with this. If it's a digital image, yes no need to tempt some one, but I'm not so sure that a print (with watermark front and back) wouldn't be bad. Especially if your print is superior to the image used in their product literature,ads, etc Call it "your" business card.
As I hinted in the disclaimer; this is only my opinion which is not founded in actual experience.

The reason I included that sentence is simple: The owner/dealer might consider that some kind of property rights infringement. A good way to cut the interview short.

As I hinted in the disclaimer; this is only my opinion which is not founded in actual experience.

The reason I included that sentence is simple: The owner/dealer might consider that some kind of property rights infringement. A good way to cut the interview short.

Nor am I, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once! LOL I see your point, though under you're assumption, the photograph of a competitors product my create equal hostility. Which leads me to a quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln - "“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

Let's say it's a tube of lipstick for instance. A competitor's product DONE WELL should help the potential client realize that he needs better photography, at least to the level of his competitor.

Commercial photography is very difficult when starting. Most firms use agencies when they want quality images. That is who you need to target - the art directors. Your work must be top notched without any flaws. Your work must stand out above others to get noticed.

I specialized in eyewear photography, so I searched "sunglasses in California"
, local websites will be shown up.
I contacted with them through these websites.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back