To take a step forward or a step back - that is the question

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
(ok so this isn't in beginners so I might get one reply :lmao:

Ok so after the last few days I've half convinced myself that it might be worth my time to learn and use some of this film stuff; not just for the experience of film photography, but also to expand what I am currently capable of with digital without having to spend a large amount on a 5D or similar. So I've done some research and asked around and the Canon EOS 3 has popped up as a not too expensive option to get into the film area with my EOS lenses (barring the 400D EFS kit lens) whilst also not only giving me a fullframe field of view, but a much more advanced AF system than I currently have.

However I'm also partly torn because the price (provided I can find one from a reputable place on ebay) that I see on the EOS 3 is very close to the price of a Kindel on Amazon - another unit of technology that I've been growing more keen to add to my setup as a way of reading PDFs and books without having to carry large text volumes and binders full of paper (I'm sure I will still use those things, but the small size and light weight of the kindel really brings it into its own for any form of travel - esp when one hasn't got a car).

So I'm left torn - do I take a step back into the past and go for a good film camera (ok I'll stop pulling the film fans legs since the body itself is a step forward from my 400D) or do I take the step toward a kindel?
Both will come with additional costs of books and film of course so neither is a 100% singular investment.

So Great people of TPF - which should it be?

thought you'd say that - though I'm still curious about your views on the EOS 3 that you made in the other thread (which I think is probably somewhere near page 10 of beginners by now ;)

Are you sure the total cost of buying and operating the film camera will be less than the cost of buying a used full-frame? How will you develop and scan, i.e., in addition to film, do you need to invest in developing equipment and chemicals (or pay for developing each roll), a film scanner, etc.?

Long term the film costs will overshadow the digital fullframe costs easily - however this allows me to make a shorter term experiment, if you will, into the fullframe world without spending a budget that I would rather (at this point in time) spend on a lens.

I have an EOS film camera in mothballs from the first Canon EOS's made. The lenses that I bought for it are a 50mm and a 70-210mm. (I have to really test my memory on this, I might even be making things up but I think that's what I have). I am sure none can be used with any current Canon DSLR cameras that I own due to the difference in the autofocus mechanism.

Somewhere in those mothballs are a bunch of Cokin filters including a ND Gradient that I do want to dig out and use. The nice thing about the lenses I used back then were the diameters were all the same. I am sure I need a new filter ring to use for the ND once I find it.

I'm not sure I'd want to go back to film, and I have a bunch of film cameras including Olympus in mothballs. I would go back to do slides though.

I don't know what prices are like in the UK, but unless you don't want a scanner - I'd say you're looking at about $4-500 to start...

Figure $100 - $200 for a decent body, another $200 - $250 for a film scanner, and $50 - $100 for film and processing.

That's a lot more than what the Kindle costs... You could cut the cost a lot by not buying a scanner, but what's the fun in that? :lol: That would be like switching back to the medium size JPGs after years of RAW. :lmao:

I say get both, eventually. :lol: The Kindle will be the lower cost option for right now.

Don't just look at the cost of the body and think that's all there is... If you start shooting film, you will want a scanner...

edit
(ok so this isn't in beginners so I might get one reply :lmao:

Don't worry though, Off-Topic still gets lots of action too. 'Photographic Discussions' might have been a better choice though, at least there our posts count. :lmao:

Last edited:
Hmm you raise a good point with regard to scanners - I hadn't factored that side into the equation at all and I suspect like you say I will end up wanting more than the negatives and prints generated by the quick shop visit. I also recall, now that you mention it, seeing in another forum examples comparing film scans from a retail outlet and home done scans (on the same film negative) and the latter came out with a distinct advantage. Now granted that part of this will depend on the outlet itself, but it does remind one of the fact that you're putting half the process in someone else's hands.

Of course the kindel is not without its costs as well (many books will cost to put them on the kindel), but not quite near the level that the film scanner might end up costing.

Most reactions

Back