Thinking about purchasing a new iPad

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an old iPad. I think it is version 3. It is sort of obsolete. It is running so slow and not compatible with today apps. I'm confused on what Apple is selling. There is iPad Air 2 and iPad 5. These seem to have the same price. What would you recommend? I'm not too sure I should get iPad Pro. It is a bit expensive, but I heard it is very powerful and good for photo editing.

I have the iPad Pro 12.9" 2017 edition. I love it. It was pricey but I got it instead of upgrading my laptop. I use it for photo editing with Affinity and Snapseed. Not sure if it would be enough for a pro as far as workflo and batch editing go but for me, as a hobbyist, it's great. I love being 100% mobile with my editing. I never sit at my desk anymore except for work. And when I go on vacation it is easy to travel with. I have the Apple Pencil but for me I could take that or leave it - I have barely used it.

I agree with @SquarePeg, I have an iPad Pro and love it. It's great for editing while on the go (or just lounging on the couch).

I have the Apple Pencil but for me I could take that or leave it - I have barely used it.
I'm the opposite. I can't use the iPad for photo editing without the Apple Pencil, but I have been spoiled on my desktop with the Intuos Pro.

Also, as far as Snapseed, have you noticed it degrading the quality of some of your photos? In certain photos, I notice an odd banding that occurs. It seems dependent upon certain edits that I make. I can reverse through the edits, have it go away, and then redo those edits and have no banding. I can't seem to figure out what causes it, though, as those same edits on another photo won't cause the banding. Sometimes I worry that it's my camera, but I'm not so sure. I don't seem to get it in Affinity and the banding doesn't appear to be in the raw files. When I come across it again, I'll export the image and note the settings.

The Silver Spider?
I think, if I recall correctly, the original species name means silver face. We used to call them corn spiders or zig zag spiders. They all have a silver colored heads. They are pretty abundant here is Michigan.

I agree with @SquarePeg, I have an iPad Pro and love it. It's great for editing while on the go (or just lounging on the couch).

I have the Apple Pencil but for me I could take that or leave it - I have barely used it.
I'm the opposite. I can't use the iPad for photo editing without the Apple Pencil, but I have been spoiled on my desktop with the Intuos Pro.

Also, as far as Snapseed, have you noticed it degrading the quality of some of your photos? In certain photos, I notice an odd banding that occurs. It seems dependent upon certain edits that I make. I can reverse through the edits, have it go away, and then redo those edits and have no banding. I can't seem to figure out what causes it, though, as those same edits on another photo won't cause the banding. Sometimes I worry that it's my camera, but I'm not so sure. I don't seem to get it in Affinity and the banding doesn't appear to be in the raw files. When I come across it again, I'll export the image and note the settings.

I haven't noticed that. I typically only use Snapseed if all I'm going to do is crop and maybe apply the Pop filter. I take a lot of photos for our rec softball league Facebook and Instagram feeds. I don't want to spend a lot of time editing these so I usually hit the Pop filter under "Looks" and then I'll crop it, save it, post it and be done.

Very occasionally I'll use the dodge/burn feature or a vignette but that is pretty much it. If something needs shadows/contrast/color/brightness adjustments I go to Affinity.

I have an iPad Pro as well. It's really reliable whenever I need to do contents for my Instagram. I also use Snapseed for photo-editing but I use ProCreate and ClipStudio Art on my iPad more because I enjoy drawing using the Apple pencil.

I picked up generation 4 on ebay for a couple hundred bucks. Havent used it yet still using ipad 2 which for most of what i do is working fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back