Sony 100mm F2.8 / Macro question

Nervine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if there are people here who are currently using this lens and could possibly provide some pointers. I have had the lens for a little while now and really want to start getting more into macro photography. I have been contemplating reverse mounting some lens's but figured I would get to grips with this lens first before trying the other techniques.

I find that when I am taking handheld shots that I just always seem to miss the focus and assume this is down to me getting used to the lens and learning to hold still.

The below shot was taken inside with one of the Jumping spiders which I keep in an enclosed tank. I think I only just missed the focus on the eyes however the rest of the picture just seems not up to scratch. I put this down to the spider being within a plastic tank and the quality of this could be degrading it? also this was using the camera flash and not the external one with diffuser.

If you do use this lens or one of a similar focal length with Sony do you have any tips handheld?

Another question I have is when I attach the flash to the camera, A55 the screen goes dark and I am unable to compose the shot, however when I don't have the flash attached and the pop up comes up the LCD screen will show me what is happening and allow me to compose. Could this be down to being a Yongnuo flash and if I had a Sony branded one that would change?

Sorry for so many questions :)

$jumper.jpg

Looking at your EXIF data, you're using Center Weighted Average focus. Have you tried spot focus instead ? Or better yet, use the Peak function and focus manually. Bumping up the ISO a bit will allow you to close down the aperture some more.

I'm just starting to do macro photography. I have the Sigma 105mm Macro.

As for the flash, I did test with my Sony flash on my a65 with the preview mode ON and it was indeed compensating for the flash exposure and made an otherwise dark scene bright so I could frame the picture normally. It would seem to indicate a Sony flash, or maybe any Sony compatible flash (Sigma or Metz) might relay exposure information correctly. A call to Sigma might help solve that. Your Chinese flash doesn't communicate any exposure information to the camera.

Thanks for the pointers. These little guys are now pets so plenty of practice available.

I am saving for the HVL-43 flash maybe buy it I. The next few weeks as with being able to correctly expose the shot is ideal. Currently when using the Chinese flash I am guessing and failing.

May have to splash the cash this payday to set myself up :)

With the Sony flash, you should be able to remote trigger the manual flash for some nice effect.

Good choice on the f42. That one is weather sealed.

Whilst saving up for the Sony HVL-43 or 42 I purchased a Minolta 5400HS for $50.

This allows me to now preview what I am shooting and allow me to compose my shots which will be helpful and now the Yongnuo flash bill be left alone.

I took some more shots of the jumpers inside which I keep, need to move them to a more flattering scenery however was testing the new flash. I know there is still work to be done with this shot but I am getting there.

Attachments

• $HidingJumper.jpg
    $HidingJumper.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 219

Most reactions

Back