Redbud Explosion

Lovely sight! Hell, our Redbuds here in Northern Pennsylvania are barely in the bud swell stage.

It's very nice to see signs of spring. At the moment though we are covered with snow..

This past week things have really popped here. Unfortunately next week we have a couple days off frost.

The Redbuds are in full bloom, the forests are spotted with the pale pink now everywhere you look. Just off my driveway.

redbud 202320230309_6022.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr
One of my favorite sights in the world, these Redbuds. :586: I hope they can live in this zone: I will absolutely get one. We cleared out a lot of dead stuff in our small lot when we moved here, and I have room for a few small trees.

All over the local news today is the 30 yr anniversary of the "Blizzard of 93". On this day in history a confluence of gulf moisture, arctic cold and brutal winds gave Alabama a memorable taste of winter. Nationally, it was the third-worst U.S. storm of the 20th century, killing 270. In North Alabama, 45 mph winds piled snow into drifts up to six feet high. Anyone who was here then has stories to tell. Ou power/heat was out for a week, fortunately we had a large fireplace in our family room that kept us warm, and DW was pretty good at cooking on top of a kerosene heater. It was 4 days before we could even get out of the subdivision.

The red buds aren't in bloom here yet. There are a few on the side of the road in a cemetery that I stopped one year and took photos. My magnolia tree is starting to bloom. Too cold and windy to get any photos.

Nice shot! They are in bloom here, but as is the case, after a nice sunney WORK day, the weekend is going to be overcast and wet... smh

Nice shot. Did you know that redbud blooms are edible? Have a slight sweet taste.

Nice shot. Did you know that redbud blooms are edible? Have a slight sweet taste.

You really do learn something new everyday. A little more reading on the uses, they can be used as capers on a salad, in lemonade, infused in finger, and to make jelly.

Most reactions

Back