Pocket Wizards

ecphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do people still buy these?
Many years ago when I got started I could never afford these for my off camera flash work. Now there are so many cheap options with TTL and Speedlites and strobes with R2 built in. I'm just wondering what companies like Godox and Yongnuo did to change the landscape, especially for broke photographers.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I still use them all the time, but I also use a Speedotron pack and head system for most of my work, so... that said, I do have several Godox lights, and I have to admit that I've been impressed with their performance overall; the build quality leaves a little bit to be desired, but they're pretty good, and I've had VERY few misfires with them (however compare that to zero with the PWs).

What Godox et al did was (1) wait until the technology had matured; and (2) use a high volume / low cost model.

I'm not sure how strong their market share is today but people who own them likely still use them, me included. My Sekonic meter has a built in PW radio so setting up my Speedotron's makes it pretty straight forward. In fact I just received a bag full of 3.5mm sync cords so I can sync my Godox lights with the PW's should I need to and as a back solution. I own PlusII's and MiniTT1 and FlexTT5's. Unless I needed the extreme range of the PW's would I buy them today if I didn't own them, nope, the market has shifted.

I'd echo tirediron's comments, zero sync issues with my PW's but even after firmware updates I have the occasional misfire with my Flashpoint R2 MkII trigger.

I bought myself two sets of Pocket Wizards but that was over 10 years ago. Today I don't think I would spend the money, since there are so many low cost alternatives these days. The Pocket Wizards have been extremely reliable, but I think in today's market they are tremendously overpriced , unless you need long, long range triggering.

I own four tti-5's, two minis and two of the ac controllers. I recently used them for a wedding on two cameras. I have owned them for years and like the control I get with them. I like em....

This one, a light is camera right coming from the back/top, the other is camera left on left.
untitled-2866-Edit.jpg

2)Behind me camera right coming down slightly.
untitled-2875-Edit.jpg

Never had one. By the time I got into a studio environment Godox has made it so the added expense for a PW would be just wasted money.

Never had one. By the time I got into a studio environment Godox has made it so the added expense for a PW would be just wasted money.
It was the same for me, now that I've been doing this for so long I wouldn't spend the money. I've been using Yongnuo since 2014 without any issues. Only a few misfires with the Speedlite over the years, the TTL triggers never failed me. Now I'm building up a Godox setup for my new Olympus mirrorless.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back