Nikon D7100 or Pentax K-5IIs...Help Me Decide!

dubiousone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm at a quandary;

My first DSLR is a D50. Great camera, especially for an 'old' beginner like me to learn on. I'm getting to the point where more MP and ISO will be what I need. Now, here's the problem; not too long after I found my D50 I stumbled on to a Pentax K100D Super and super it is! (At $150 I couldn't pass it up.

Things I like about both and what I'd like in the new camera;

Controls are set up almost the same, rear and ESPECIALLY the top with the control knob on the left (I'm left handed) and a top LCD on the right. My new DSLR needs to be set up this way. (Rules out the 5100/5200/5300 and some of the Nikon and Pentax line that might otherwise be...)

Both have a hefty feel to them. The smaller body composite cameras don't feel as good to me.

Video and 'scenes' are unimportant to me.

Megapixels are not that important though going from 6MP (both mine are that) to a 16 or whatever will allow me to do some better cropping. The increased ISO and shutter speeds are what I would primarily gain, in addition to some better compatibility with my older glass. (in the Nikon)

Having a focus motor in the body is a must have.

I really like the image stabilization built in to Pentax but it's not a deal-breaker.

My K100DS seems to do better at auto exposure than the Nikon and colors seem richer so I'm sort of leaning towards the Pentax.

I have played with the K-5IIs and it was love at first sight but...around these parts almost no one carries Pentax anything. This causes me to lean towards the D7100.

On the other hand, I really like that K-5 but I know if I bought one because they're really cheap compared to the K-5IIs I'd just be lusting for the other one...

It takes a certain breed of shooter to buy Pentax gear these days. They do make some nice products, and always have had great camera designers. Pentax focuses the same direction as Nikon, mounts lenses the same way, and in many ways, Pentax and Nikon sort of feel similar in control ethos...their cameras have always had a very "Japanese camera" ethos, and one I have always liked, as opposed to say Canon, which has a very "Japanese electronic camera" ethos since the EOS introduction...a much,much different, more menu-driven, and dual-function button approach, like the original dual-function button line across the top deck, right index finger operation area on the various EOS bodies...

I dunno...Nikon is the easy, safe choice. Pentax might be the better choice if you want a lineup that has the best set of DX-specific lenses, optimized for crop-frame shooting. I think Pentax's lens lineup with primes and zooms is really well-optimized for DX shooters, Nikon maybe not so much. I dunno...you need to feel good about whatever you purchase, so some actual hands-on time with the camera you want to buy is a good idea. Pentax is not very widely stocked, so, that might be more difficult than with say the D7100, which is at every Best Buy in America.

If you're happy with Pentax why not pick up the K-5? More important to be happy than not, IMO. You can order whatever you need of the internets.

I'm at a quandary;

My first DSLR is a D50. Great camera, especially for an 'old' beginner like me to learn on. I'm getting to the point where more MP and ISO will be what I need. Now, here's the problem; not too long after I found my D50 I stumbled on to a Pentax K100D Super and super it is! (At $150 I couldn't pass it up.

Controls are set up almost the same, rear and ESPECIALLY the top with the control knob on the left (I'm left handed) and a top LCD on the right. My new DSLR needs to be set up this way. (Rules out the 5100/5200/5300 and some of the Nikon and Pentax line that might otherwise be...)

Both have a hefty feel to them. The smaller body composite cameras don't feel as good to me.

Megapixels are not that important though going from 6MP (both mine are that) to a 16 or whatever will allow me to do some better cropping. The increased ISO and shutter speeds are what I would primarily gain, in addition to some better compatibility with my older glass. (in the Nikon)

I really like the image stabilization built in to Pentax but it's not a deal-breaker.

My K100DS seems to do better at auto exposure than the Nikon and colors seem richer so I'm sort of leaning towards the Pentax.

I have played with the K-5IIs and it was love at first sight but...around these parts almost no one carries Pentax anything. This causes me to lean towards the D7100.

On the other hand, I really like that K-5 but I know if I bought one because they're really cheap compared to the K-5IIs I'd just be lusting for the other one...

Honestly you can't really go wrong with either, both are great cameras. I looked at pentax myself but ended up going with Nikon, the biggest reason for my own decision was that the used market for Nikon is much stronger than it is for Pentax. Since most of my equipment is purchased used, particularly lenses, this was an important factor for me personally. It may not be quite as much of a concern for you if you plan to purchase new.

I would get the Pentax. The menus are much easier to navigate through with Pentax (my wife has a D5100, and basic settings like white balance, shutter speed, etc. are hard to find, I suppose someone could get used to it over time, but with my K7, I don't have to :).

Hi dubious - I'd vote for the $1097 24.1MP D7100 - even though it is over $300 more than the 16MP K-5 IIs - but, even though my first DSLR was a D50, I'd vote for the new $1057 24MP Pentax K-3 over either one of them. It costs less than the D7100 - and has in-body image stabilization, a fully weather-sealed body, and a faster continuous frame rate than the Nikon.

Hope this is helpful and Best of the New Year!

Bill

Thank you Mr. Robbins!
Most of my gear is purchased used (Come to think of it, other than lens caps, minutia and a Sunpak flash for my Nikon, all of my gear is used, especially the film stuff!) One of the deciding factors is obviously this fact; Nikon gear is much easier to come by than Pentax as I'm the sort that likes to SEE it rather than purchase online.

I haven't considered the K-3 (yet) because I haven't actually got one in my hot little hands. As I said, I prefer to have hands on first, Skid. And you're right on the menus; my K100DS is easier! (of course you guys keep giving me hints like the K-3 that just makes it harder...LOL)

I'm at a quandary;

Honestly you can't really go wrong with either, both are great cameras. I looked at pentax myself but ended up going with Nikon, the biggest reason for my own decision was that the used market for Nikon is much stronger than it is for Pentax. Since most of my equipment is purchased used, particularly lenses, this was an important factor for me personally. It may not be quite as much of a concern for you if you plan to purchase new.

Most reactions

Back