Macro flowers

mikbone

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks
Can anyone offer any suggestions regarding the "ghosting" around the flowers on this
image please? It's a 6 shot stack, tripod mounted with manual focus incremental adjustments.
I used photoshop to align and stack the images plus some post in Lrc.
DSC_1571-Edit-Edit.jpg

I see some slight ghosting in a small part of the image, and some indistinct edges. The effects are minor but shouldn't be there. I'm sure you know the ghosting is caused by movement.

I see some slight ghosting in a small part of the image, and some indistinct edges. The effects are minor but shouldn't be there. I'm sure you know the ghosting is caused by movement.
no movement there, the camera was mounted on a tripod using a remote shutter release!...

no movement there, the camera was mounted on a tripod using a remote shutter release!...
it's an artifact from the helicon stacking software

it's an artifact from the helicon stacking software
There are smudgy green areas next to the petals, which appear to be OOF places where Helicon had no info. Maybe there was no motion, but it is still possible even if you were on a tripod. It is hard for us to analyze an image when we were not there.

There are smudgy green areas next to the petals, which appear to be OOF places where Helicon had no info. Maybe there was no motion, but it is still possible even if you were on a tripod. It is hard for us to analyze an image when we were not there.
apparently the "green smudgy bits" (Halo's) are a common fault with Helicon.

But you said you stacked them in PS.

Stacking is one of those rare instances where using different software can be very beneficial because each one works a little differently (and even within them they've a bunch of variable settings to choose from). So sometimes it is a case of experimenting and a stack which fails with one can succeed with another. Waayy back in the past I saw a few posts around the net that went really in depth comparing and trying to work out the patterns that would work with one over the others for each bit of software - there are patterns but in practice they were not practical to work within. Ergo you couldn't "work" your shots to work with a specific stacker in a practical manner (esp for nature shots).

The green areas could be the result of minor wind/motion on the subject between frames. So even though your camera was rock steady and each shot was sharp, the tiny motions moved the subject enough that some areas have details which the software can't line up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back